In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield SAR-8

valkryevalkrye Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to research one of Springfields SAR-8;308 cal.HK G3 type rifles.Does anyone have any knowledge of this rifle ?
When it was in production ?
How good a rifle is it compared to other Battle rifle types ? PTR;HK ?
Thanks
valkrye

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    If it has the cast aluminum receiver they are junk.

Get a PTR 91 or an HK if you must have a G3/HK91 type rifle. Or get a a FAL.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    they were made on the same reciever as the century gun ,,the reciever was made by DC industries and sold thru federal arms corp now defunct..i hade one of the century guns and it worked great..also had scope mount built on the top..they were made so i feller in his basement could put it together..all you had to do was grind the old sheet metal reciver off the trunion and put it in the new aluminum rec.clamp it tight and drill a hole on each side and drive in a tapered pin.install the butt stock,do the modification to the trigger pack and your done..inovative produuct for a easy solution..the springfield guns were green and cost more..i had mine 10 years and recently sold it as i had gone onto the M1A, and fal rifles.i found the gun a better plateform than the heese/century stamped steels at the time i had few of each model thru the years it felt more sturdy ..the new PTR are all new made guns and are better than the century made stamped steels..original HK G3 types were expensive ..G3 mags are reaaly cheap right now stock up now[^]
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    they were made on the same reciever as the century gun ,,the reciever was made by DC industries and sold thru federal arms corp now defunct..i hade one of the century guns and it worked great..also had scope mount built on the top..they were made so i feller in his basement could put it together..all you had to do was grind the old sheet metal reciver off the trunion and put it in the new aluminum rec.clamp it tight and drill a hole on each side and drive in a tapered pin.install the butt stock,do the modification to the trigger pack and your done..inovative produuct for a easy solution..the springfield guns were green and cost more..i had mine 10 years and recently sold it as i had gone onto the M1A, and fal rifles.i found the gun a better plateform than the heese/century stamped steels at the time i had few of each model thru the years it felt more sturdy ..the new PTR are all new made guns and are better than the century made stamped steels..original HK G3 types were expensive ..G3 mags are reaaly cheap right now stock up now[^]

Not entirely correct.

Original SAR3 and SAR8 were on HK tooled Greek steel receivers. They are every bit equal to a German HK91.

Later SAR8s were made on the clunky aluminum receivr and they were junk.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    so valk what do you have the stamped or the cast aluminum