In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

baby nambu

ala manala man Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know anything about a baby nabmu pistol japanese ww2. I inhereated one,I know nothing about it.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A teeny little gun, well made to the rather odd Nambu design, it chambers a 7mm bottleneck cartridge used in nothing else. Not really a WW II piece, except what was on hand at the time, it was available for private purchase by Japanese officers from as early as 1905 - the Sino-Russian War period. One source says something over 6000 built between 1905 and 1927, but the survival rate was low, these little guns are scarce in the Occidental world.

A dealer here sold one for a bunch of yen. Would have been even more but whoever stole the Papa Nambu from the previous owner also took the Baby's holster.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Check the Nambu forums. They have info on both the Papa and Baby Nambus. Including dates of manufacture by serial numbers.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    It was a senior officers weapon, a general or admiral usually. Tokyo Gas and Electric made some and those can be identified by the TGE logo on the chamber. Most sell for in the 3k price range. I'm in lower Alabama around Mobile and Doss White is in the Birmingham area. We both have great libraries if you would care to drop by.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Worth lots, heck just ammo is worth lots. Had one in pretty OK shape with 2 rounds of ammo thru the shop a couple years ago, sold for $5000, and the customer was very very happy....