In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rechamber from 30-06 to 300 Win Mag?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 700 in 30-06, is it possible to rechamber this rifle to 300 Win and if so, what else would have to be changed?
Thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You could rechamber the barrel BUT THEN you will have to either get a magnum 700 bolt or open up the bolt face to the head diameter of the 300 win mag and THEN you will have to modify the action guide rails to feed the larger diameter case. IMHO not worth it just sell the rifle you have and buy a 700 in 300 Magnum.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    You could rechamber the barrel BUT THEN you will have to either get a magnum 700 bolt or open up the bolt face to the head diameter of the 300 win mag and THEN you will have to modify the action guide rails to feed the larger diameter case. IMHO not worth it just sell the rifle you have and buy a 700 in 300 Magnum.

Thanks, I thought it was a simple rechamber, I didn't think about the bolt face. I will take your advice and sell the 30-06.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to get another 700, I would look for a good pre owned one. The stuff coming from Big Green these days seems to still be having issues. If you are going to look at another brand, the Tikka T-3 seems to be just about top shelf for the price these days. Next in line would be the new Browning X-bolt. If barrel length is not an issue, I would opt for the Browning with the 26" barrel to get all of the performance you can.

Best
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chris,

Another option: Have you looked at simply having your chamber modified to "Ackley improved 30-06"

Assuming you reload, that would be the easiest & cheapest way to get near magnum performance, and still have the option to shoot standard
    30-06 factory loads (they simply would fire form the brass to your new chamber).

Jim
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm curious. What do you plan to use the 300 for that the '06 won't do?