In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Holster and Sheriffs Badge?

t_hrms1t_hrms1 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
i bought this at a gun show today, and i was wondering if anybody could tell me something about it

it supposedly came from arizona, and the sheriffs badge has the letters "A T" in the brass center

100_7175.jpg

100_7180.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the two items do LOOK old and are of a style that could be real however because of the popularity of the cowboy action shooting in the last 20 years there are probably 1000 FAKES for every one Real badge and holster from the old west. This is sort of like the civil war belt buckles of 50 years ago. If you paid big $$ I hope you got a guaranty in writing and know the seller.If they prove to be real NICE FIND any cloth stiching should be natural fiber. not nylon.

The last picture posted in the frame makes me think yours is real . Please tell us you have the sellers name and maybe some information about how he came to own these 2 items . DON"T let the trail get cold . With the right proof of ownership back to original owner the value would be MUCH greater then just the two items on their own merit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the only stitching we can see is in leather. some of the stitching is cracked and broken

more pics...

1129081742.jpg

1129081742a.jpg

1129081757-1.jpg

1129081808-1.jpg
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I would think "AT" stands for "Arizona Territory".
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info perry shooter! appreciate it!

and yes - i know where to find the guy i bought it from

i should add that the leather is "dry cracking". no major chips, but it is chipping. the leather is extremely worn and very soft. thats what caught my eye actually - the fact that they could get it inside of one of those glass top display boxes - theyre only 3/4" thick!

i paid $100

anybody have any clue what something like this might be worth IF ITS REAL? i dont want to sell it - its my christmas present

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Value is what someone would be willing to sell for and what someone would be willing to pay for an item. Do NOT try to ENHANCE the condition by cleaning treating with any thing ETC . You really need to get all information you can first . Get signed and notary stamped if possible. Then it is time to do some detective work to try to trace down who and where these items came from .See if you can find out who B.P. or P.B. was. look at frame and red cloth backing and see if antique conserveator can give you an idea of age.Again don't get your hopes up until you check every thing out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh i know! - i am in the antiques business and thats the first thing that you learn
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I would think "AT" stands for "Arizona Territory".

Excellent point.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the guy that i bought it from also claimed that the A T was for arizona territory - BUT i just wanted to be sure - and thats why i asked
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (Thomas) William "Billy" Preece was a Utah lawman. He lived between 1856 and 1928 and was a key figure in capturing some of the Wild Bunch. The holster and badge that you have might well have belonged to this famous individual. In the 1920 census he is listed as living in Vernal City, Unitah County, Utah, as a Deputy Game Warden of the State, with his wife Mary.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks kimi - any info helps!

the tooling appears to be hand cut. there are cut marks and imperfections in the cutting

i would like to take it outside and get some better pics but we have 6" of new snow and its still coming down