In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mystery Mauser

walldj45walldj45 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm not a Mauser expert in any form but i was offered this one and i was wondering if any one knew the type, caliber value etc.

It was presented as a 1889 Belgium Artillery carbine but i don't think that's it. Any idea of caliber and value would be awesome.

belgianmauser.jpg

belgianmauser2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it is a '98, not an '89. There are a lot of different makes, models and variants that the enthusiasts care about. But the Williams side scope mount setup kind of knocks any collector value in the head anyhow.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Polish Radom WZ-29, or one made by Poland for Spain. Stock doesn't look right though, something missing. Should be 8x57 Mauser.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    walldj45,

Remove the scope and side mount.

Remove the barreled action from the stock, look at the top of the front ring, top of the barrel and all surfaces on the underside of the action/barrel. There should be several marks and proofs which will give us more clues.

Pictures of these will be a big help.

Best.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has the 98 AZ type hinged upper band and front sight but the mounting for the bayonet doesn't look correct, almost as it's been added on as a afterthought? I thought the Polish 98 AZ's were pretty much exact copies of the German ones? I wasn't aware that the later Polish rifles used the same type upper band and front sight as the AZ copies.

I two would be very interested in the receiver markings, if they haven't been defaced when the scope was mounted.

In any case the addition of the scope/mount has nullified it's value to a military rifle collector. My WAG, it should be considered as a shooter/hunting rifle and valued accordingly.
  • Options
    mauser98mauser98 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have had these before, it is a belgian model 1936 mauser, mine had a duffel cut and i still got $400.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    walldj45......looks a lot like a 1935 Belgium Short Rifle. Take the scope off and see if it has a crown over "L" for Leopold, King of the Belgiums. If so, made by FN at the factory at Liege in cal. 7.63x53mm. Looks like someone has turned down the straight bolt to clear the scope (ugh!). Without being touched, these are nice rifles bringing @$500+. Messed around with like this, just a shooter not worth anything to a collector so my guess @$300 or so. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    walldj45walldj45 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is 7.63 x 53 a euphism for 7.62 x 54r russian?
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    walldj45......looks a lot like a 1935 Belgium Short Rifle. Take the scope off and see if it has a crown over "L" for Leopold, King of the Belgiums. If so, made by FN at the factory at Liege in cal. 7.63x53mm. Looks like someone has turned down the straight bolt to clear the scope (ugh!). Without being touched, these are nice rifles bringing @$500+. Messed around with like this, just a shooter not worth anything to a collector so my guess @$300 or so. Hope this helps!

Whoops! 7.65x53 not 7.63....and nothing like the Russian 7.62x54! My mistake!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It took a little bit of searching but this looks like a 1935 Belgian short rifle. Same stock as my pic (p 38) in Ball's 4th ed. Mauser,Military Rifles of the World. Same upper hand-guard configuration, with the front having a sharp cut-off. The same sling hardware and most importantly, the right bayonet lug.

While these were no doubt drilled and tapped for scope bases and lugs, and the style at the time was very prominently side mount, I doubt the scope in the picture is authentic to the rifle. Even though they are close in age.

So, yes the collector value is hurt but that is a quality rifle. You could shoot it and have fun.

-Good luck, I hope you decide to get it.
  • Options
    animalsrdeliciousanimalsrdelicious Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This gun actually belongs to me. It is definately a 7.65 and here are the markings. I dont seem to be finding much about them.
    "Manufacture D' Arms De L Etat" which means its belgium made correct?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by animalsrdelicious
    This gun actually belongs to me. It is definately a 7.65 and here are the markings. I dont seem to be finding much about them.
    "Manufacture D' Arms De L Etat" which means its belgium made correct?

"Manufacture D'Armes de le Etat" was the Belgian state arms factory/arsenal, located in Liege. It made/reworked Model 1935 rifles, (such as yours), between 1935 and the German invasion of 1940.