In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman Receiver Sight

66BuickSpecial66BuickSpecial Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
Having trouble identifying a Lyman sight I purchased. I thought it was a No. 48 long slide but now I am not sure. Local "experts" tell me it is very difficult to identify Lyman without attaching them to the rifle you think they fit. I removed the slide and the letters 6H HC are stamped on small parts. The unique things about this sight are the fold down peep sight circle (barely visible in lower left corner of second photo) and the 125 (+2) sighting scale. Any help would be appreciated. How do you know if this sight attaches on the right or left side of a rifle?

I give up on posting photos. Thanks to those who replied.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the crosspiece of the windage/elevation slide has a step up in it, I think it is for a 1903 Springfield. The hinged peep in the front of the threaded aperture hole is a characteristic of the Lyman 48S that was used on the 1903 NRA Sporters. It was also available and was used by many gunsmiths on custom sporters. The windage scale on the 48S was on the back whereas most Lyman 48 sights had the windage scale on the front. The elevation scale on the "long slide" was numbered to 150. Since later elevation scales were marked as low as 60, newcomers to the gun fanciers have elected to call the slide numbered to l25 as a long slide. Early catalogs, gun writers, etc. referred to only the one numbered to 150 as a long slide. The sight for the 1903 Springfields was attached on he right side.