In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun boxes for shipping

Evad55Evad55 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
If anyone has any suggestions, I need proper boxes for shipping weapons/rifles, the USPS doesn't offer anything suitable.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uline has the right size rifle boxes, but you have to buy packs of 6, IIRC. They may work for rifles that aren't too large, or too heavy.

CMP sells rifle cartons with padded inserts. Very substantial for even a heavy, scoped rifle, but expensive.

Neal
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said, Uline has gun boxes at reasonable costs. Also, they offer an "Evidence Box" for guns. This box fits nicely inside their 4x8x52, is also fairly inexpensive, and the double boxing, along with some bubble wrap or good paper wrapping, offers good protection enroute. You may have to buy a standard package quantity; maybe someone you know might like to have some boxes also.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Brownells...they use to have a wide selection...
    JIM............
  • Options
    fishingfishing Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gander Mt some times has some used shipping card board gun boxes (mine were free). I have gotten some. Use some foam and you are set .
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably not what you need but I've found that you can often find inexpensive second hand hard cases in pawn shops, thrift shops, etc. that don't add much more weight to the package and provide a lot more security.
    I typically pay between $3.00 and $6.00 for them, package the rifle in bubble wrap as well as the foam padding, put all the written information inside as well as another address label, then wire the case shut and wrap duct tape around the wire.
    Never had a loss or damage issue. Sometimes the customer will pay extra for shipping in a hard case and I buy new ones at Big Five or similar sporting goods stores on sale for between $12 and $17, Customer pays for it and gets to keep the case as well as having the rifle shipped safely.
    Some of the Post Offices gripe if the case says anything molded in, about guns on the outside so I wrap duct tape over any logos as well.
    Dan R
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,509 ******
    edited November -1
    Most of the guns and rifle's I collect and ship are in excess of 60 inches long! (Kentucky rifles) I have built special boxes out of wood for a few, but also get good strong cardboard from a local furniture dealer (free) and make my own shipping boxes out of it. It is not rocket science and I have gotten pretty good at this from experience.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask your local gun shop to save one for you from the long guns they have coming in.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.uline.com/BL_433/Rifle-Boxes

They're a little more expensive than getting used ones from your LGS. However, they are all folded flat and store nicely, and you don't have to cover up all of the old stickers. Just add a few bucks to your shipping cost.
    Also FWIW, I can get soft cases on sale at my local sporting goods store for about $8. You still have to pay for bubble wrap and tape, but sticking a gun inside a soft case for a few $$ more is a lot easier than trying to wrap a gun in bubble wrap and tape. JMHO though.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Ask your local gun shop to save one for you from the long guns they have coming in.

this is what I usually do. Or just ask the FFL I use frequently. They usually have a ton.