In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith Wesson 38 top break

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
Need help with real hard trigger pull on an old (1906) Smith Wesson top break revolver. May have had a new main spring installed in the past. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First it needs to be lubed completely including cylinder spindle.
    Hammer spring needs to be thinned and tapered by someone good with with his hands.
    You can use existing spring as a pattern to make thinner spring.
    Spring stock from Brownells, Dixie Gun Works and others.
    The trigger rebound spring on these guns is atrocious and needs replacing or rework. It needs to only return the trigger to fully forward position.

it needs
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinned and or re-arched springs. Be sure all the guts are flat and burr free. These aren't real strong pistols I would consider leaving it as a wall hanger. If you are paying someone to fix it and make parts you could easily exceed the pistol value.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/Revolvers-42026/38DoubleActionRevolver-38376.htm?results=All
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to do all my work on these old pistols, and yes if you have to pay someone to fix these top breaks it needs to be a family heirloom. Plus its almost impossible to find any gunsmith that will take one to fix.