In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rate AR-15's

47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 the best, were would a Bushmaster fall ?

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get the feeling their QC may be suspect at times, but that can be true of any manufacturer. There was an ammunition test being done and they had multiple samples of the same model of Bushmaster. They were setting the base for accuracy and found half had their barrels torqued incorrectly.

I like my HK 556A1, SIG, and LWRC M6A3 (all are piston). I also have S&W's which have performed well.

Question is how do you determine which is the best? Finish? Reliability? Accuracy? Price/Value? Resale value? Purpose?

Another manufacturer I've been curious about is Stag. Especially for the 3 Gun matches.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    #1 is Colt. Colt is very good quality, and the resale value is excellent. After Sandy Hook the prices on Colt AR15's went insane, Colt 6920's trippled in value! I always look at resale value when I buy a firearm, and it is usually the big brand names that hold their value - Colt being at the top.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree Colt is a good AR to put away and I have been doing just that. As far as quality I have no problem with Colt AR's but to put them above Daniels Defense,LWRC or Larue Tac,or Rock River is not correct in my opinion. If I was looking for a gun in the $1000.00 range for personal use I would probably be looking real hard at Rock River. We have sold a good number of Rock Rivers over the years and the finish and quality is superb. We really don't have much problem with any AR-15's and we shoot a lot of them on our range. Good luck.
  • Options
    49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Rock river. You have to spend some money, all I can say is that when I put down my M1A and switched to a Rock River CMP NM, went up 40 points in Highpower scores, although gun wouldn't shoot a 55 grain worth a group, 62 grain shot nicely, heavier handloads even better due to twist rate. Bushmaster not even close quality wise.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer the OP's question, the Bushmaster would fall between 3, and 5 on my scale of 1-10.

Best
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    They all do the same thing.

The best is the one that has proven itself to be 100% reliable and sufficiently accurate.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had many brands of ARs and picked up a C.O.R.E. a few weeks ago.This thing is imo top shelf quality, hands down above a Bush and many others. Look them up.[:)]
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info but it turned out a little late, it was a Bushmaster in 223 with an extra upper in 22. It sold while I was thinking !
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are lots of good ones out there...

You could make your own out of one of those 80% if you like a shop challenge. Then just pick a upper.[:D]
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I agree with this. Colt's are good but not the top anymore. I even own a few Stag + models that I would take over Colt. Name recognition has gotten them a long way. Daniel Defense is my go to though. I love their rifles.

quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    I agree Colt is a good AR to put away and I have been doing just that. As far as quality I have no problem with Colt AR's but to put them above Daniels Defense,LWRC or Larue Tac,or Rock River is not correct in my opinion. If I was looking for a gun in the $1000.00 range for personal use I would probably be looking real hard at Rock River. We have sold a good number of Rock Rivers over the years and the finish and quality is superb. We really don't have much problem with any AR-15's and we shoot a lot of them on our range. Good luck.