In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

4 inch 44 magnum revolver

bollinebolline Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I am specifically looking for any thoughts on a good 4-inch 44 magnum revolver. I have been looking at the Taurus M44 and the Smith and Wesson Performance Center 629 V-Comp. There is a $600 price difference between these two revolvers. Is the S&W PC worth the extra $600? I don't mind the weight. I am opting not to use any lightweight models (like the S&W 329PD Scandium model). It will probably be used sparingly. I want it to handle all 44 mag loads including full loads. I do not want to be worried about malfunctions. I want it to be accurate. I do not intend to use a scope.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, or ideas.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I shot the S&W for years, 4-6+83/8. All got loose with full loads.
    Got a Dan Wesson and Ruger Redhawk. Never one problem with either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Dick. I think I will look at the Redhawk also. I have several of those just not in 44 mag.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan Wesson is built like a tank, and is perhaps the most accurate revolver I have ever shot. Swap barrels in about 30 seconds. Price is generally much less than the S&W. IMHO, one of the most underappreciated handguns made.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't mind weight, check out the Ruger Super-redhawk.

Its probably the toughest production .44 on the market.

If you really are going to use it sparingly, or not with super "barnburner" loads, I don't think you'll have any issue with the ordinary Smith 29/629.

Its a nice gun, just not as tough as the others mentioned.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 1 Taurus revolver & will never own another.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I have personally witnessed only (2) revolvers to ever have significant problems as new from the factory.

A Dan Wesson 357 Maximum that spit lead so bad you needed gloves, sometimes primer strikes were so far off center the primer didn't ignite...

And a Taurus Raging Bee that each chamber was reamed to a different depth, by caliper fired cases showed over .070" difference in shoulder location.

Buy a Smith or Ruger.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I have personally witnessed only (2) revolvers to ever have significant problems as new from the factory.

A Dan Wesson 357 Maximum that spit lead so bad you needed gloves, sometimes primer strikes were so far off center the primer didn't ignite...

And a Taurus Raging Bee that each chamber was reamed to a different depth, by caliper fired cases showed over .070" difference in shoulder location.

Buy a Smith or Ruger.

+1

Consider resale value. Taurus depreciates
    I have spent considerable time at the pistol range as a range master and can also tell you when I see timing problems over 80% are Taurus
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Ford Taurus is an O.K. car. The only Taurus products I would own are the Rossi 92 rifles and carbines. And they require some stoning and polishing to be right.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 6" 629 I gave away because I couldn't stand to shoot a box a shells at a time. I even tried my Herrit's Shooting Star grips from my 29, it still beat the snot out of me. I can do 500 at a whack in the 29's with 10 5/8 barrels. My first one is around 30,000 full tilt loads and still shoots better than a lot of pistols. Gallon milk jugs at 200 yards make a very nice splash.

I have seen a few redhawks that shoot good. A buddy had like 8 of them, 2 were great the rest so so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info so far. Looks like Taurus is out. Ruger Redhawk is in. Now is the S&W Performance Center V-Comp worth the $1200+ price tag? Or the Redhawk at 700-ish??
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890

Buy a Smith or Ruger.

I would bet money that Dan Wesson was a later model "not made" at the Monson facility while Dan Sr. was still alive.