In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossberg 715T Barrel

msmalley1227msmalley1227 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Mossberg 715T with a straight barrel and would like to have it threaded to a 1/2x28 so I can install a suppressor. Do you think it would hurt the quality of the barrel or should it work OK? Thanks

MLS

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on who does the work. A careful quality work person using excellent equipment should have little to no effect on accuracy by threading. Perhaps it might improve if the crown is redone. The barrel harmonics with the installed suppressor might change for the worse. Bubba does the work all bets are off.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure and have a pro, do it. As Charlie noted. It's very important that the suppressor be mounted concentrically with the bore, not with the OD of the barrel. This is best done in a 4 jawed chuck, in a lath. With a indicator used to dial in the ID of the bore.

Definitely don't want anybody near it, with threading dies in a die stock.
  • Options
    msmalley1227msmalley1227 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot. I called a gunsmith who said he has a lathe and will do it for 75 bucks so I will bypass Bubba on this one.

MLS