In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MARLIN EXPERTS 1893

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
Model 1893 30-30 serial D6206..when was it made ? Marlin cant even tell me .. [:(]

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I found, hope it helps. One thing that is certain Marlin did change the serial number system they started with.For the most part it started
    in 1907. No records.I am just not that clear on the letter prefixs.From 1881-1906 Marlin serial numbers go to around
    355300.A twenty-six year run averaged around 13,665 rifles per year.By 1902 they reached 29,200 but 1906 shows a
    drop to 26,300.I have read in a earlier post on a rifle with a 442,xxx serial dated to 1913.1907-1913 these seven years
    produce 94,700 rifles with a 13,528 per year average.Thats pretty close to a 50% decline in seven years on the same
    five Models cataloged in 1906.Now were down to 1914 and 1915.If you take the 442,xxx from the estimate of 450,000
    you come up with 8,000 rifles for two years.Thats 4,000 rifles in five listed Models.I think this might have been good
    enough reason to make a change.This is why I think maybe the Marlin Fire Arms Company may have introduced the
    letter prefix earlier than thought to make things look a little better.I just dont think they would have been to proud
    of the numbers they were seeing in the latter years.This also leads me to belive that they were entertaining the idea
    of selling the Company a few years before the 1915 offer.This just happened along at at a good time and Marlin Arms
    Corporation could have cared less about the sales numbers in the sporting firearms.They had a lot bigger fish to fry.
    This to me would help explain the very low numbers in 1914 and 1915.I do belive this new system carried on through
    the Marlin-Rockwell era with the fire arms they assembled from parts and a few into the newly formed Marlin Firearms
    Corporation ending with the D prefix with just a few rifles in the higher 8,xxx range having the bullseye and the star.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Marlin Model 1893 was manufactured in 1917.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Your Marlin Model 1893 was manufactured in 1917.

Well, that's a much more precise -and brief- answer than the one above yours! [;)]
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert I didn't contact you directly because it wasn't a Winchester !! THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN !
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    Bert I didn't contact you directly because it wasn't a Winchester !! THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN !

I am acquainted with a number of fellows who collect Marlins as well as Winchesters (I frequently tell them that they have their priorities mixed up[}:)]), but I can rely on them for some information. Personally, I would never intentionally touch a Marlin[xx(]