In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903a3 scope base help.

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
OK fellas....working on my project gun that I bought that was drilled and tapped when bought.

Trying to find a base that will work with this thing...two holes on the forward portion of the action 9/16 inch apart. The rear dovetail hole for the old rear sight is 4 and 1/2" from the rear hole on. Hoping to get lucky I tried the leupold three hole scope base. It does not fit (forward front hole and rear dovetail hole line up but the rear front ring hole does not). Any suggestions? I am thinking of trying a Redfield two hole base next to see if perhaps that would fit. However thought I would check here to see if anyone had any suggestions.
20150727_160432_zpsfvd9vhnx.jpg
20150727_160426_zpsq0ps8zbm.jpg
20150727_160348_zpsk6izz52h.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like it might have been set up for the Weaver #45 front and #59 rear bases.

If you'd rather use the Leupold, just use the front and rear holes and forget about the middle one. It should hold just fine against .30/06 recoil.

Those machine lines lead me to believe that's a very late rifle. I have one very much like it--reminds me of the "last ditch" Jap rifles.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It looks like it might have been set up for the Weaver #45 front and #59 rear bases."
    Probably so. Those some pretty gnarly holes.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Mobuck. Those holes are nasty.
    I personally would not spend any money on this.
    Cut and toss.
    Warren, I like 03 and 03A3's also, as originally manufactured.
    It appears someone took a dremel to the receiver-to get past the
    case hardening, prior to drilling (butchering) the holes. If you
    want to spend money on a bad project, go for it. I would think
    one would just cut their losses.

Edit: Ambrose, I respectully apologize to you and the op.
    The previous statement were just my feelings.
    Regards,
    Steve
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I personally would not spend any money on this.
    Cut and toss."

If you toss it; toss it my way, I like A3's and I have 2 or 3 sporter stocks and quite a lot of 1903 and A3 parts (bolts, milled guards, etc.) Seriously, those old rifles are well worth saving. Once you put scope base(s) on there, you will forget what the holes looked like.

EDIT: Steve, sorry I turned this into an argument. The OP asked for scope mount advice and I threw in my two cents worth and should have left it at that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The project may be salvageable IF the holes (ugly as they are) happen to be correctly lined up. Just looking at the second pic seems to me the middle hole is out of line with the others.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would chase those threads with a bottom tap to make sure you have at least screw diameter in available threads. Getting smacked in the face with a scope, bases and rings hurts!

I ran into the same problem you found. As suggested the Weaver two piece bases worked perfectly. But, again, I would use caution on those threads, if too bad you might have to go up in screw size to get a reliable mount. You can use bigger screws if you drill out the Weaver base and reshape the head recess with a carbide burr BTDT.

I too love Springfield actions and rifles, they just feel right! [^][^]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Redfield "Junior" base is the closest to "correct" for your rifle, although it has only 2 mounting holes. Even that base would need to be shimmed at the front. It was used on the 1903A4 sniper rifle.

You may want to consult with your local full service gunsmith now, as you will have to see him anyway to bend your bolt.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rear hole could be plugged and it looks like there is room to put in the new rear hole.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will check my stuff, I think I have an unmarked redfield base that was modified by a smith a long time ago to fit an 03A3 that had the weaver mounts installed, it was just like yours none of the one piece mounts will work for hole alignment because they were setup for the 2 piece weaver mounts so the rear hole was drilled for center placement instead of hole pattern, it was removed and holes plugged at a later time for someone else and I ended up with it for parts.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All holes are incorrect for the A4 arrangement and for the correct Redfield Junior two hole mount.
    If you could find a Redfield or copy, weld up the holes in the mount and drill new holes in the mount to match up with those existing FU receiver holes, glue up the whole business with steel filled epoxy, you might get away with it.
    Do not drill any further holes in the receiver ring.
    Otherwise you have a scrap action.
    Alternatively, use existing front hole which seems to line up, fill other two front holes with JB Weld. TIG weld rear bridge hole , redrill and retap.
    Again, goop up the whole business with JB Weld after thorough degrease.
    I have never in Service known an A4 Redfield mount to come loose(screws are staked).
    However the windage screws do and are a PITA. I notice you have blue Permatex on them, We didn't have the stuff.
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave the holes alone.
    Get a B-square scope mount for your 03a3 from J & G Sales.
    It replaces the cut off, and uses the cut off spindle for mounting.
    Only drawback is that the bolt can't be removed without disassembling
    the mount.
    I like mine.
    Ken
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I told you guys I have an 03A3 that has both front and rear Weaver bases JB Welded in place(no screw holes drilled) for the last 35 years, you probably wouldn't believe me.
    OP needs to determine if he wants a scope base as a permanent part of the rifle and if so, go ahead and use the screws that line up, put a filler in the odd hole, degrease like crazy, and JB it into history. Just make sure there's room for the front ring to turn in place.