In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Service Model Ace... In stainless ?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I was at an auction Sun. and they had the above pistol, it would look great alongside my stainless Gold Cup me thinks. Should be able to 'snag' it for < a grand................wrong, bidding toped out at $3,000. are these worth that much??

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not seen or reliably heard of a stainless steel SM Ace. I have seen the occasional nickel or chrome Ace, though.
    I would want a factory letter or a money back guarantee that it would letter before paying any great amount.

Even a blue SM Ace in sharp condition would sell for more than $1000.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a nice, shinny, black chrome one yeas ago [;)][^]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Blue Book, the 70's vintage Service Model Ace. Wasn't made in stainless.

Either it's a one of a kind, very valuable collectors item. Or more likely to my thinking, a very expensive lesson to the person who sprung $3000 for it.

Question? Was it actually advertised in the auction catalog, and at the auction as being made of stainless steel?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Question? Was it actually advertised in the auction catalog, and at the auction as being made of stainless steel?"............no, just a sm ace. it looked identical to my s.s. Gold Cup. Colt made a 'run' of the G.C.'s in the mid 1990's, I assumed they did the same with the SM ace
    gc_zpspwzj5og0.jpg

"Only thing I can think of is, maybe it had been stripped down and polished and left in the bare metal, and the auctioneer didn't know."...........nope, perfect in every way. it looked just like the picture above onle .22. even had a s.s. magazine
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been collecting Colt Ace and Colt Ace Sm models for the last 15 years, and reading all printed material that I can find on them. I cannot remember ever finding anything on a stainless steel Ace. I have the serial numbers of the last run Colt made of there Ace sm, starting with #14001 and ending with #43830 if that helps anyway. Only thing I can think of is, maybe it had been stripped down and polished and left in the bare metal, and the auctioneer didn't know.