In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Names

Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I bought an older Ruger .44 Mag carbine last Sat at an auction. It was made in 1962 and has a 5 digit ser number. I see these frequently referred to as the "Deerslayer", but nowhere on the gun is that name.

I also have one of the newer models called the "Deerfield" with detachable magazine. Deerfield is actually on the gun.

How did the older guns get the Deerslayer name if they never had it printed on the gun? Did the public do it? Was it printed on the owners manuals?

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early Ruger .44 Auto Carbine was the "Deerstalker". until Ithaca complained that it was too close to their copywrited name "Ithaca Deerslayer". The name deerstalker was quickly eliminated from the gun I think the name only made 1 year before they was just called ruger 44 carbine
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a "DEERSTALKER" it will be stamped as such on the left side of the receiver. The Ithaca M37 was labeled "DEERSLAYER". My DEERSTALKER has a 3 digit serial number. They probably discontined the name before your gun was made.