In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

charter arms 9mm revolver

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 672 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
can someone tell me how well the pitbull model revolvers from charter arms function?
I see that they offer 9mm,40sw,and 45acp revolvers which do not require moon clips.
thank you.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any hands on experience, with any of them. But from personal experience with semi-autos pistols. Shooting 40 S & W and .45 ACP.

Lightweight revolver(s) shooting 40 S & W or 45 ACP. Going to be ugly flinchamatics. Stick with the 9mm
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't shot one, but would like to try.

Following up on above, from experience, shooting .40SW from light (ie less than 16 ounce) guns is absolutely punishing (as is .357). I agree with above that I wouldn't want this in a lightweight (ie alloy frame) snubnose revolver.

But along those lines, even 9mm luger from a snubnose is no slouch either.

Contrary to what some believe, 9mm luger actually falls near the midpoint in power between .38 special and .357 magnum. IE, even "normal" 9mm lugers are more powerful than .38+P, and the better rounds pack about 75% of the energy of .357 magnum.

Yes, 9mm luger is generally considered a soft-recoiling cartridge, and it is, but that's mostly when you fire it out of full sized all steel service automatics!

Even 9mm luger is going to be more than many will want to shoot from lightweight guns, particularly persons who aren't 'gun nuts'.

"Nice" things about 9mm from a snubnose are that its both more powerful than .38, and typically cheaper per round. The cartridge is also more efficient than .357 in a short barrel meaning (somewhat) less muzzle flash.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot one of the first Pitbull Models out in 40 S&W. The fit, function, and reliability, are absolutely great. I suspect that the 9mm, and 45's will be the same.

That said, the 40 did have very brisk recoil. It should as it is a fairly high pressure round, designed around a 180 grain chunk of lead.

I have three lightweight auto's. Two S&W Shields, one in 9mm, and one in 40 S&W, and a Kahr CW-45, in 45 ACP. They are all similar in size and weight, but the 40 S&W Shield, out recoils both of the other's, no matter what round you feed them.

Best
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend has the 9mm that I've shot a couple times seems to work ok just not as refined as a Smith. I have the Smith 325NG 45 acp which is bout the same weight and recoil is no issue with that one
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 9mm in a moon clip should load and eject better than the longer cases.
    The large rubber grip if still available makes a big difference in felt recoil.