In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

?Normal? info for dealer f/out of state transfer?

pcnpcn Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I figure the short answer is "Whatever makes the dealer comfortable, since he's the one doing the transfer." I've tried to find something detailing any requirements on the AFT site, but can only find "recommendations" to follow such as keeping a record of serial numbers. It seems it may be up to the dealer's own discretion. I have done several where the seller sent a Driver's License and a bill of sale. I am trying to receive a transfer right now that makes me ask the question. The dealer asked for an invoice to show that it was only passing through and that there were no tax liability issues on his side. That sounds completely reasonable. Once he received the gun he said it would be a good idea to have some sort of identification from the seller, to protect me in case it later turned out to be stolen. So I asked the seller to send a copy of his DL and he seemed very evasive. He said "I can't see any reason why he would need that for a transfer and I have never been asked that before with any firearm sale and I've sold quite a few online and elsewhere. The invoice was unusual too. Well the local police can run the numbers and determine its not stolen. I'm sorry but I'm not at all comfortable giving out my license. No other FFL has ever required this." I would not have thought twice about not having ID until my dealer asked, and now that the seller won't send anything it makes me question the deal a little.
So what are your opinions? Is asking for a DL within reason, or is it asking too much? Would you be concerned if the seller wouldn't supply it? What type feedback would you leave in this case? The gun seems as advertised although the dealer couldn't find any manufacturer info or import marks on it. It's a Yugo SKS 59/66.
Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's fairly common for the dealer to want to want to see the seller's i.d. I would say at least 30% ask me to send one when I sell a gun. It also isn't uncommon for a seller not to want to provide it, actually it common for people in general to avoid giving out any personal info that they don't have to.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a dealer. I do have a C&R and have bought and sold a few guns over the years. When I do a transfer thru an 01FFL, the seller typically sends a copy of his FFL. If he doesn't have one, he sends a copy of his Drivers License. Since I live in Maryland and taxes are collected on transfers as well as outright purchases, an invoice need to be included as well. Its been a while since I have done a transfer but never had a problem with a seller including what was asked of him. When I do a face to face deal I always exchange Drivers Licenses and keep the information in a folder in case there is a problem down the road.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    we reqire a current unadulterated copy of driver lic
  • Options
    pcnpcn Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I do fully understand people not wanting to give out more information than needed. But I can also see the dealer's concern about potentially being involved in something shady if the seller cant identify themselves, and the gun's identification seemed a little murky.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense! But you should have got all your ducks in a row. Before this transaction went down, i.e. found out what the dealer required in documentation, to receive and transfer the SKS. Than communicated this to the seller.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am an ffl dealer and I require the seller to send a copy of their ffl or if not a dealer then a copy of the sellers driver's license.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "by the book"........a ffl must identify who he receives a firearm from, how he does this is up to him. some will take the return address from the package, some want a d.l., some refuse to accept from non-ffl's. there is no 'hard and fast' rule about 'what' I.D. must be used. I had a 01 ffl for over 40 years and was never questioned as to how I I.D. who I received a firearm from.
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we sell one on the auction side, we always include a copy of our D.L. when we ship the firearm.
    The FFL needs that for the transfer.
    If I buy one Face to Face I will request a copy of the sellers D.L.
    Covers everyones Butt as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF requires that dealers & collectors maintain a "bound book", into which they enter every gun they acquire & dispose of. They must show the seller/buyer of every firearm for which they use their license. For nonlicensees, ATF recommends that they enter drivers license information, but any government issued photo ID is acceptable. That includes a US military ID.

ATF also gives the flexibility to acquire/dispose of a firearm if the licensee KNOWS the identification of the person/company. If he wants to send a gun to Colt Firearms, he probably won't have a copy of Colt's FFL, but it's reasonable for him to say I KNOW to whom I am sending the gun.

Neal
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pcn
    I figure the short answer is "Whatever makes the dealer comfortable, since he's the one doing the transfer." I've tried to find something detailing any requirements on the AFT site, but can only find "recommendations" to follow such as keeping a record of serial numbers. It seems it may be up to the dealer's own discretion. I have done several where the seller sent a Driver's License and a bill of sale. I am trying to receive a transfer right now that makes me ask the question. The dealer asked for an invoice to show that it was only passing through and that there were no tax liability issues on his side. That sounds completely reasonable. Once he received the gun he said it would be a good idea to have some sort of identification from the seller, to protect me in case it later turned out to be stolen. So I asked the seller to send a copy of his DL and he seemed very evasive. He said "I can't see any reason why he would need that for a transfer and I have never been asked that before with any firearm sale and I've sold quite a few online and elsewhere. The invoice was unusual too. Well the local police can run the numbers and determine its not stolen. I'm sorry but I'm not at all comfortable giving out my license. No other FFL has ever required this." I would not have thought twice about not having ID until my dealer asked, and now that the seller won't send anything it makes me question the deal a little.
    So what are your opinions? Is asking for a DL within reason, or is it asking too much? Would you be concerned if the seller wouldn't supply it? What type feedback would you leave in this case? The gun seems as advertised although the dealer couldn't find any manufacturer info or import marks on it. It's a Yugo SKS 59/66.
    Thanks for your input.

If the seller went into a local gun store to sell, or consign to sell, a firearm, does he think they would accept that firearm without checking his ID?

What does he think your receiving-FFL is going to do with a copy of his driver's license? Does he think the FFL is going to "assume his identity" and start getting loans in his name, or something? Does he have that same concern if he makes a purchase with a check at a local store and the clerk asks to see his driver's license?

Someone who doesn't want to identify himself in a business transaction -- firearm related or not -- is someone I'd look at with suspicion.

I'd tell him: he can either send a copy of his ID to your FFL, so your FFL can complete the transaction, or your FFL will ask the ATF if they could have some agents in his area stop by his location he's claiming is his address to check his ID to make sure everything is on the up-and-up with this transaction.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote from Hershel..
    I am an ffl dealer and I require the seller to send a copy of their ffl or if not a dealer then a copy of the sellers driver's license.

I am also a Dealer....
    +1...
    JIM...........