In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

41 misfires

amwelamwel Member Posts: 33
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
Getting a lot of misfires with all brands of ammunition. Using the same brands, same lot numbers in a 22A with noticeably less. I cleaned the gun, replaced all the springs with factory springs, put in a new firing pin and no difference. This problem got progressively worse over the last year. I just sent the gun to S&W and it came back with another new recoil spring but no change. All the new springs were factory from the factory. In the past I complained about this gun not ejecting misfires and I shortened the firing pin .023 inches. That had no effect on the number of misfires but I did go back to a new pin, verified the length and still many misfires, even with CCI ammo. Got any ideas both I and the factory may have missed?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Smith has gone thru the gun, replaced springs and firing pin and the gun still misfires, it might be time for a new gun.

Why would you shorten the firing pin? Is that supposed to make it more reliable?

While cleaning it, did you clean out the firing pin channel. They can get built up fouling causing the firing pin to not travel forward enough.

Are the misfired rounds getting light strikes on the primers?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many times the chamber area at the breach, where the firing pin impacts. Has been deformed by dryfiring, or repeated impacts from a overlength firing pin. Brownells sells what they call a "ironer", that is used to restore the chamber in that area.

Might also try swapping barrels. When I had my 41, got a extra "Sport" barrel. It was just a simple drop in replacement, for the original barrel. No fitting required. See If you could borrow somebody's barrel, to see if it has the same problems?

Back off tension on the the trigger stop. When I had my 41, I had repeated problems with it. So that I would carry the correct size allen wrench with me. When I had misfiring problems.

The 41 is a top of the line, 22 target pistol made by S & W. There going for over $1000 now. There is also a great demand for used ones. If you can't get this lemon fixed? Get rid of it for something else.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There is a removable Steel insert in the slide that is the breach face
    They get battered after many thousands of rounds are are replaceable. Also ammo is the main cause of misfire Take the misfire and weth small pliers remove the bullet from the case while holding the round Bullet nose up .then pour powder charge in your hand . In good bright sun light see if there are small flakes of different color if so this is primer material that broke away from case rime . Comes from poor handling some where Between maker and you trying to fire it . some priming compound you can dislodge by dropping a bosx as little as 6 inches.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe the firing pin isn't allowed to move far enough forward due to a slightly off retaining pin hole or a shallow milled tunnel for it to travel in the bolt.

INHO you need to have a skilled person work on it, trying diagnose a fix remotely is a waste of time. I would send it back to them and polity tell the they didn't fix you pistol. This after making sure the ammo you are using is good and works in other guns.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/AutoPistols-42024/41-35286.htm?results=All
  • Options
    amwelamwel Member Posts: 33
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    If Smith has gone thru the gun, replaced springs and firing pin and the gun still misfires, it might be time for a new gun.

Why would you shorten the firing pin? Is that supposed to make it more reliable?

While cleaning it, did you clean out the firing pin channel. They can get built up fouling causing the firing pin to not travel forward enough.

Are the misfired rounds getting light strikes on the primers? Yes they appear to be as these rounds carefully positioned in a 22A so the firing pin hits the same spot, fire. Yes I cleaned the channel. The misfire rounds seem to be pushed out of the extractor. Shortening the pin stops that so the round comes out the first time I pull the slide back. Otherwise I gave to rack the slide twice.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    post some pictures of the hits on the misfires so we can tell if they were hit hard enough to fire. I always try another gun to fire misfires just to get rid of them and also to be sure I don't have an issue with my gun.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever notice that Smith and Wesson Customer Service and everything they touch now days sucks big air!

Kinda hard to diagnose snapping 22 with very little info. Ronnie Milsap and Stevie Wonder could guess at this one!