In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SAA question?

mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
What is done to a Colt Custom Shop SAA that makes it more expensive than a regular production SAA?

Comments

• Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    what is done ?? every moving part is finely tuned and honed to near perfection, if you actually want specifics call Colt custom shop. [:D]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking at the Custom Shop price list, it seems the main thing is nonstandard features and cosmetics.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Grips WOOD IVORY STAG
    Engraving special sights Special barrel length ON & ON
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, there was a business decision by Colt to make all SAA's in the custom shop, rather than having to set up a line to make the parts every once in a while. This was done about 15 years ago, IIRC.

Catalogued SAA's will always cost less than custom orders, because, well, no point in requesting custom features unless you want something fancy.

Neal
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know that they were hand tuned. They never look any different than a stock gun, and I was curious why the relatively big price difference.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one, bought it about 5 years ago, and the pale blue box says it's from the Colt Custom Shop. Yawn ........

It's a wonderfully finished gun, but I'd be happier if the damn left grip panel sat fully flush with the frame. The trigger pull stinks and the screw heads are more than a bit proud. The bluing is like liquid, black glass but I'm concerned it's not durable or deep. One holster rub and I'm pretty sure I'd be scratched down to bare metal.

I gotta shoot it one of these days.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up my second Colt SAA from ups and drove home. Got the revolver out of the box while sitting in the truck in the drive way. I had six rounds in my pocket so I get out of the truck walk straight to the barn, load it and burn six rounds into the bullet trap. I bought it to shoot not languish in a gun safe. As I was walking back to the house my wife pulled in the drive way and saw the nickle plated colt in my hand. She just shook her head and said, "you couldnt wait to shoot it, could you". Nope I could not.