In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 62 or 62A ?

waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at and interested in buying this rifle but maybe a little confused. The serial number places the date of manufacture 1947, so it should be I would think a model 62-A, however the barrel is stamped model 62 caliber 22 short, also the hammer is not the serrated style but what I would call the older checker style. Now I have heard that Winchester would use up older parts that they had in inventory before, that might explain the hammer but the barrel I am a little confused. Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this?
Also both serial numbers match and it has the gallery style loading port.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the lower tang have more than one screw in it? The Model 62 used a flat hammer spring, whereas the 62A used a coil hammer spring, and that is the determining factor between the two.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lower tang has only one screw, I guess I failed to mention that.
    So then for the nomenclature on the barrel being different it is still a 62-A. Would I be correct then in assuming that the barrel was more than likely made prior to the change over and was new, but old stock inventory being used up?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I highly suspect that the rifle you are looking at was a simple case of Winchester using up old parts on hand, and Yes, it is a 62A.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    try this site: Deleted

or this one: Deleted

Deleted. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale

Both websites you mentioned have some erroneous information listed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    Deleted

Both websites you mentioned above have some erroneous information listed.

please point out the "some erroneous" info, seems you are saying this site does NOT !!

i find those sites more useful than useless. [:D]

Edit: If you are not smart enough to know what the erroneous information is, you are not qualified to answer questions about the subject at hand. If you want to be critical of the information provided on this website, go elsewhere. I also suggest that you carefully read the Posting Guidelines for GunBroker.com - http://forums.GunBroker.com/PostingGuidelines.asp

Bert H.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you sir for being the "smart one" [:D] .......... [;)]