In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Right Bolt-Left Port

hipshoothipshoot Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at buying a new Savage Varmint series rifle in a 22-250.
I would like to know some pros & cons to getting the model that is a Right bolt-Left port vs a standard varmint series model.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you will find that is a solid bottom, single shot receiver, made for custom/semi custom F-Class rifles.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right bolt, left port actions are very convenient if you are right handed and will be shooting from a bench or mat with sandbag or bipod support for the foreend. Doesn't matter if it is F class or static position varminter, if that is your position. Not so hot with a sling or unsupported position.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hipshot,

The right bolt/left port configuration for a right hand shooter is usually used by the single shot crowd when they don't want an ejector to fling their expensive brass everywhere. The extractor pulls the case from the chamber and the shooter retrieves the case from the receiver. No lost brass, no dinged necks, etc. This configuration also allows the shooter to keep control of the rifle without releasing his/her grip on the wrist and trigger guard. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a single shot.

I have several variations on ports:

right bolt/right port

right bolt/left port

left bolt/left port

left bolt/right port/right eject (pistol configurations)

right bolt/right port/left port/right eject(named a dual port)

It simply depends upon what style of shooting will be most convenient and comfortable for the task chosen.

Best.

Right bolt/right port/left port/left eject
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am right handed and shoot off my left shoulder with "right handed" bolt rifles and it is very convenient at the bench. I work the bolt with my left hand and catch or pick up brass from the open bolt with my right hand. Since I'm not as quick with my left as right the repetitive working of the bolt is easy, occasionally I have to play catch with an empty and the right hand is more adept.

Putting ejection on the rifle's left side for a right handed shooter means they'll use their left hand to handle ejected brass, seems to me something that can be readily learned/acccomodated.
  • Options
    hipshoothipshoot Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be using it for prairie dog hunting while bench rest shooting. Sounds like a very good option for me being I'm also right handed.
    Thanks for all the feedback folks.