In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Enfield 1917 P17 scope base

magripamagripa Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have custom build P17 in 7mm Remington Magnum. Original sights are removed and there are three holes for scope mount. I would appreciate help with selecting right scope base that would not requre any additional drilling.

KC9Lck.jpg
J5sOsu.jpg
UmuT45.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that it matters, but that's actually an Eddystone Pattern 14, one of those made for the British. And I would guess that the holes were drilled for a Redfield or Buehler one-piece base.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ears have been milled off. Depends on how much metal they took off. Finding a Leopold one piece base if that's what the 3 hole spacing actually is one option. Rear hole could require a large shim. Option 2 is fit a piece of steel into the bath tub and put a 4th d&t hole in that, then use a 2 piece base.

I have only seen Remington and Winchesters 14/17 have never seen a ERA. Though plenty strong, they were way heavy to carry.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    these use an 'almost' custom redfield type base. find a rem. 700 (or possibly a win. m-70)long action base and if the holes line up, modify the rear part to fit your receiver. measure the rear hole to the first front hole and I can get this closer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    these use an 'almost' custom redfield type base. find a rem. 700 (or possibly a win. m-70)long action base and if the holes line up, modify the rear part to fit your receiver. measure the rear hole to the first front hole and I can get this closer.

Distance between those two holes is 4 1/4 or 108mm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem. 700 l.a. will be 'close', you may have to shim the rear slightly
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    measure the hole spacing from front to rear hole center to center
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    Rem. 700 l.a. will be 'close', you may have to shim the rear slightly

Picked up Redfield JR for Remington 700 but now I need recommendation for riings for the same base.[:)]

Thanks
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several manufacturers make turn-in rings that fit that base. I usually use Burris or Leupold.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    install the base on your rifle useing the front 2 holes only, if there is a gap at the rear of the base/receiver you will have to shim that amount. plastic 'free' credit cards make good shim stock [;)]