In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Large Ring Mauser

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Those of you who asked me to tell you how we repaired the threads in the front of my 98 Mauser action. The second thread had some bad spots, and I was looking for a tap. After closer study, we used a small cutting wheel on a small dremel tool. We used an old Mauser barrel with good threads, smoked it with candle smoke to find the hi spots, buffed them with the dremel. Worked like a champ, barrel screws in perfectly.
W.D.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is the size and thread pitch for barrel threads for a 98 Mauser?
    I tried to screw a barrel into a 98 I'm building and found the second thread inside the receiver in buggered. I'm trying the figure out where to get a die, so I can fix it.
    Thanks for looking.
    W.D.

Got it figured out, 1-12, Brownell's is pretty proud of their taps.
    The second thread is the only one buggered, the rest are fine. Talked to Floyd in The Dalles Or, he said that you can safely remove the first three threads without having any problems. I' think we'll give that a shot.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight

Got it figured out, 1-12, Brownell's is pretty proud of their taps.
    The second thread is the only one buggered, the rest are fine. Talked to Floyd in The Dalles Or, he said that you can safely remove the first three threads without having any problems. I' think we'll give that a shot.

For the relatively inexpensive cost, that Charlie quoted. I would consider renting a tap. Rather than boring/removing any threads from the receiver.
  • Options
    49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I'm missing something, but did you ever think about using a stone on a Dremel tool to clean up the threads?? Slow and patient, or rent a tap. I wouldn't hesitate to form a stone with a diamond and go at it, patience, it'll go!! Either way good luck!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Charlie, I'll contact them in the morning. Looks like the way to go.
    W.D.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    49Harley is spot on!for a newb not quite sure about how to make sure a fine thread tap would get started correctly on a buggered thread, i would definitely try a Dremel first if the bad area isnt very big. there isn't such a thing as a "MULLIGAN" once you run that tap through it. its either started correct or its cross threaded..do you have the expertise to know the difference on the 1st try?quote:Originally posted by 49 harley
    Maybe I'm missing something, but did you ever think about using a stone on a Dremel tool to clean up the threads?? Slow and patient, or rent a tap. I wouldn't hesitate to form a stone with a diamond and go at it, patience, it'll go!! Either way good luck!!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    discusdad and 49 harley,

Using a stone and a Dremel to fix threads is not acceptable. I don't care if you've done once or not, it's taking more chances than using the tap. We don't train gunsmiths to use that abomination at all since more damage will occur from a skip or jump with any form of tool in that thing.

The threads in a Mauser are NOT fine. They are a 1:12" which is huge in gunsmithing. Getting the tap started is simple as long as you use precaution and common sense.

The absolute proper method entails setting the action up in a lathe to single point the threads.

Best.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    DSC_0274_zps8cssfhrr.jpg

Not sure what the threads on a toothpaste tube or Nyquil bottle are, but pictured is the thread end of a barrel off of an FN (Weatherby) Model 98 Mauser.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone that thinks those threads are buttress threads, needs a
    trip to the optometrist. They are a standard V-Thread as used in
    most European countries.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand corrected. It is the bolt shroud and other parts buttress threaded. Barrel threads are 55* threads.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hoping the Capt. will report back with good success.