In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New 870's any good?

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Thinking of getting a new turkey model 870, but have read some horrible reviews. Friends daughter had a youth modelabout 8 years ago that jammed all the time. It was pretty obvious it was junk. Also read that they have improved. Is it true? If so what serial number range could be considered improved?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought many 870's & 1100's over the years. No mas. Quality continues to decline, parts are no longer interchangeable, & customer service fails to meet my minimum standards.

Neal
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Improved" must mean "doesn't jam as much".
    Like Neal said, their QC sucks. The biggest problem is the barrels/chambers. They can be made to work, but it takes hours of sanding and polishing.
    Find an older 3" Wingmaster.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Newest one I have is 1997 and it sucks compared to one made in 1968.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the mossberg 500 but I know lots of guys that want to use 870's, I tell them use them like I use my mossy, manhandle it, they may work better that way and some do.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I trust my 870 Express that I got in 83. Fit and finish isn't as nice as older Wingmaster's.

added Sorry it was 1993.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sent the first Remington 870 back for repair. Never had a problem before. The gun just didn't work. I took it apart and the bolt and carrier needed some fitting. No excuse for sending out pump guns with problems like this.
  • Options
    dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you folks! It is as I expected. Reminds me of when Winchester discontiued the model 12 and replaced it with the 1200 which was my first shotgun and a total piece of crap.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my 870 Wing Master in 1972 and it has never ever failed me,
    I would take it to war with me. But over the years I have noticed at lot of changes to the 870. I hate using the word cheaper, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    I just sent the first Remington 870 back for repair. Never had a problem before. The gun just didn't work. I took it apart and the bolt and carrier needed some fitting. No excuse for sending out pump guns with problems like this.

little or no hand fitting anymore since few or no gunsmiths employed since factories use CNC machines mostly all parts are identical so only need assemblers, lower costs to manufacture, some good some not so good but they play the averages and win. buy it cheap, take it down, hand fit all moving parts, special lube, reassemble and they work great. don't be afraid to manhandle them it helps to breakin the action so with a special lube they can work very smoothe.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WALTERMOE
    NAILED IT !!
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are better off looking for a nice condition, used older one, in my opinion. There are just to many rabbit tricks in the hat, that Big Green has not caught up with yet...or should I say they have not caught up with Big Green yet.

quote:I trust my 870 Express that I got in 83. Fit and finish isn't as nice as older Wingmaster's.

Most likely a Sportsman 12, it too, was based on the 870, and was the forerunner of the 870 Express.