In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which lasts longer

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
would a 9mm glock last longer then a 45

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Would a bottle of honey last longer than a bottle of wine?
    Your question has too many variables to answer.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    both would last as long as they would last based on how well owners take care of them and usage...............
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they both plastic? I vote for real steel.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the G 17 Glock was first imported in the mid 80's. A number of folks poo-pooed it's durability. They felt that the testing done in Europe, by various police agencies and military organizations was flawed.

One guy who was a famous gun writer at the time, ( Chuck Taylor, I believe). Bought one, and put thousands and thousands of rounds through it. Trying to brake it. Didn't succeed.

To make a long story short. I believe the answer to your question. Is that a G 17, would probably be more durable, than a G 21.
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have have the Chuck Taylor article Glock Annual 1999. I do not know where it went from there 157000 rounds!
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot thousands of rounds through my 9mm, 40, 45, and 10mm and have yet to see anything wear to the point that replacement was necessary.

Every year I take them to a GSSF match to have the gunsmith look at them and replace any worn parts which they will do for free and the only thing I've gotten is advise telling me to stop lubricating them so much.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dunbarboyz
    I still have have the Chuck Taylor article Glock Annual 1999. I do not know where it went from there 157000 rounds!

Something I always wondered about, is where all the money came from? For all the 9's, that Taylor shot through the 17. My understanding was, that he's not wealthy. His real day job, was as a SO for Yavapi County AZ.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by dunbarboyz

Something I always wondered about, is where all the money came from? For all the 9's, that Taylor shot through the 17. My understanding was, that he's not wealthy. His real day job, was as a SO for Yavapi County AZ.

157,000 rounds is 3,140 boxes of 50. At $8/box (I bought 9mm retail for that price pre-2000) equals about $25,000. If he got wholesale pricing for the ammo, the total cost would even be lower.
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a G21 for 16 years and I'm just now getting the barrel fully broken in. If you clean and lube a Glock it takes a surprisingly long time to wear, let alone break.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Gun writer====free ammo [^]