In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Book on French Military Rifles.

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody know of any good books and sources of a good books on the subject of French military rifles? I would like to find books encompassing cartridge rifles from 1866 thru WW II. Gras, 1886 Lebels, the Berthiers up to Mas 36 and 56.

I can find plenty of written material an most other countries with the exception of the French. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The only book on the subject in my own library is Proud Promise by Jean Huon and part of the Collector Grade Publications series. This volume deals primarily with French auto loading rifles, but there is background on bolt actions and cartridges. It was first published back in 1995, so I don't know if it remains in print.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because of the easily available and free information, available on the net. The number of specialized firearms books being published, has dropped significantly.

Back when the net first became available for research, circa mid to late 90's. I had more gun books, than room to store the. Sold most, to gun book dealer in N.J. Only kept the high quality books, that I used for everyday research.

Nowadays, most of the questions I try to answer. The information is from the net. Although it takes a lot of searching and digging, at times.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a book that has been out of print for over 40 years. It was published by the late Norm Flayderman. In the early 1970's.

"Author is, HICKS.Major James E.
    Title is, French Military Weapons 1717 to 1938"
  • Options
    ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In English the Hicks book noted above, various W.H.B. Smith books on rifles and that's about it. In French there is Du Lefaucheux au FAMAS, by Jean Huon, Various issues of DWJ and many of the French gun magazines have great articles. More expensive and harder to find Textbook of Small arms for 1909 and 1929. There was an Oxford reprint of the 1929 Textbook in the mid 1960s which is somewhat cheaper. Much of the information on the internet reflects it's price. There is also a US ARMY Ordnance school text "Rifles" which has some useful information.