In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7x57m 29 in barrel loads

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
anyone have any first hand experience on loads
with the 29in barrel mauser 95, berlin manufacturer.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of the Chilean Infantry rifles years ago. They had a very fast twist, to stabilize 175 grain FMJ bullets.

I don't remember the loads at this late date. But it would probably be best for you. To start with bullets from the heavier end of the spectrum, at modest velocities.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest a powder in the medium burn rate(IMR 4895-4064- H414) with pressure below 45000CUP. Bullet selection in the 140-175 weight range.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck with 175gr. RNSP and IMR 4350 powder.
    This is out of Spanish and Chilean rifles and Spanish 1916 short rifles with less than perfect rifling.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't give the original load as I'm pretty sure that powder no longer exists except in museums.[;)]

I'm with Tflogger in that a slow powder to make maximum use of the barrel length with lower pressures is the way to go.
    I've used 46 gr. VV N160 behind 168 gr. bullets 45 gr. of AA4350 and the same in H4350 behind that weight. I couldn't shoot heavier as the twist in my barrel wasn't tight enough (later custom).

Speaking of which a very common 7x57 twist was 1-8.66" (1-220mm)

My best loads though were with H4831 and H1000 50 and 52 gr. each behind a 168/170. Lately, I've taken to using H414 as it gives a little more velocity without peaking the pressure too much. Kept all six groups in one day sub-moa, with the smallest being .508 moa.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While I agree with what the others have said regarding a long, heavy bullet, if that doesn't get you accuracy with suitable loads, you may want to slug your bore. A lot of these guns have oversized bores, and if you are trying to shoot a standard .285 bullet out of a .290 bore, you'll never get anywhere. In that case, actually a reduced load of SR4759 or 2400 will be your best bet, as it won't deform the bullet as much as a full tilt load with a poor seal to the bore; or you could in that case also go with cast lead loads and size to fit your gun.

That said, in my guns that have in spec bores, and long barrels, I have found that a mildly compressed load of suitable slow powder with the bullet seated out to be just off the lands is pretty darn accurate. Naturally follow what's in the manuals, but depending on seating depth, 4831 or 4350 would both probably be mildly compressed.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for large bores and big chambers. I never liked the 93 or 95 when you could be shooting a 98.