In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When was my S&W M25-2 made

BillSoTxBillSoTx Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Where can I find what year or era my S&W Model 25-2, 45acp, 6", Ser.# N8052** was made? Surfing GB auctions I find quite a few listed as 6" but in the details it states 6.5". My gun is 6" from the face of the cylinder (actually just a fine red cathair shy of 6" to get technical about it). Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disconnect in SCSW. 25-2's were made up to 1977. Your S.N. is listed in the range of 1980-1983. I would call S & W customer service in the morning, to try and straighten it out.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it possible that you have one digit too many in the serial number if it is 5 digits then that puts your serial number in the 1969-1972 range
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The ser.# is N and 6 digits, and Mod. 25-2 is stamped under it inside the yoke; the ser. # on the butt is the same N number. I try a call to S&W and see what they say. Many thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Called S&W today and the first person I spoke with advised that the M25-2 was produced from 1961-1977; he checked my serial # and said my gun was made in the year 1980. He assumed my gun was a .45 Colt and was really baffled when I told him it was .45ACP. He could not explain the serial # being later than 1977 and transferred me to Roy Jinks, who asked immediately if it was a 1955 Model .45ACP and told me that it's not true that M25-2 ceased production in 1977; he added that M25-2s were made well into the 1980s and their is nothing unique about your gun. Just wanted to give y'all feedback on this one; I appreciate your replies and helping me ascertain this info - you're a big help as usual.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first real pistol was a 25-5 in 45 Colt.