In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1860 Army Model

joedawolfjoedawolf Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt 1860 Army Model gun and I was trying to find out value. I have seen a wide range of prices on the internet.

I have a lot of photos, but can't seem to figure out how to post them here.

Thanks.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Condition and originality is everything.

You need to post your pic's on a foto hosting site like photobucket. Make a junk e-mail address first.
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

You can look threw the completed auction and try to find one just like yours.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/All/Completed/BCI.aspx?Keywords=colt+1860+army&Timeframe=1

added +1 well used. For insurance purposes I would double the $2k offer as; dealers seldom offer more than 50%, they aren't making any more original, and its been in the family for years.
  • joedawolfjoedawolf Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Are these photos OK? This is not a replica - has been in the family for generations.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joedawolf
    Are these photos OK? This is not a replica - has been in the family for generations.

Excellent photos. Sure looks like the real deal. Slim jim holster and all.

No offense. But if it's a family heirloom, might reconsider selling it.

Over the years. I have run into a bunch of folks. Trying to recover gun and militaria, that were sold by their relatives. Some people only see the dollar signs unfortunately. Don't care about there family history, and other relatives wishes. Lot of hate and discontent ensues.
    edited November -1
    We want to know if anyone can tell us the value based on the photos. Thanks.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You have a .44 caliber Colt Model 1860 Army revolver manufactured in 1861. It appears to be in fair to good condition with a faint military inspector's cartouche on the left grip.

It appears to have been well-used with possibly a few replaced screws. I would value it between $1,500 and $1,800 with the holster. I hope this helps.
    edited November -1
    Thanks. A local dealer offered $2000, so we thought it was worth more to a collector.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joedawolf
    Thanks. A local dealer offered $2000, so we thought it was worth more to a collector.

It may be worth more to a collector but a dealer is entitled to make a few bucks. Still, I think it's a fair offer. You can always list it on GunBroker and maybe you'll get more.
  • gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early serial number is a plus but looks like possibly an arsenal re-blue during service. Think Spider is correct, looks like a $2000 gun. Much more would be a stretch.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gartman
    Early serial number is a plus but looks like possibly an arsenal re-blue during service. Think Spider is correct, looks like a $2000 gun. Much more would be a stretch.

Yep, it may be worth that with a hands-on inspection. The poster also needs to consider the possibility that the dealer may also be a collector so he's willing to pay a collector's price.