In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

380 in 9mm?

22sport22sport Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can I shoot 380 ammo(9mm short) in a S&W 940 or 986 safely? Also have an older S&W 9mm that doesn't use moon clips and would like to know if anyone has tried to use 380 in it. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much info on their web site, sad.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_796653_-1_775655_757896_image

I would think that if your pistol used some sort of half/full moon clips 380 would work, as you need something to headspace the shorter cartridge on. Sort of a 38 Special in a 357 Mag.

Added yep there is 0.005 difference in the rim thickness and almost .020 in the case diameter. So they might not fit or go off and if they do they could split.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    not a good idea, the .380 has a smaller case dia. than a 9x19mm = case splits or blow back.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try putting a .380 round in it, if it goes to far into the chamber then the answer is no. If it doesn't go in to far, but feels very loose then it's probably not a good idea. Even if it seems to fit alright it's still not advisable.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We actually had a patrolman try to qualify with 380s in a 9mm. Half way through he complained that not every round went off. He didn't know any better, DOPE! We figured that the extractor must have held the rounds & the primers must have been soft.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Medusa revolver was specifically designed to fire both 38, 9mm and .380 ammo, threw one platform.

How successful it actually was, is questionable though? It came and went on the market very quickly.

Here is a photo I got off the net. Of one and the different cartridges it supposedly fired. The only way I could envision that it worked, was that the chambers were over sized. And it had individual spring loaded extractors, that held the base of the cartridge against the face of the breech.

Untitled46-620x330.jpg
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    the only 9mm I have any experience with is the Browning Hi Power, but it headspaced on the case mouth; as does the only 380 that I'm familiar with, the Colt Mustang. Since they both headspaced on the mouth and they are both different lengths it seems to me that unless you have some method of holding the case back against the bolt face, it isn't going to work.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can do just about anything you want. However, I would not, unless you are excited about the probability of hot gas, unburnt gun powder, and metal fragments hitting you. Not saying that will happen, but the coin tossed is weighted in favor that it will.

Best
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    not a good idea, the .380 has a smaller case dia. than a 9x19mm = case splits or blow back.

+1

Line up a row of about ten 9mm rounds on their sides (side to side) and do the same with .380 rounds. When you see the "curve" forming with the 9mm rounds, while the .380 rounds line up "straight," you'll understand that while the .380 is called (more in other parts of the world than the U.S.) "9mm short" it is NOT built from just a shortened 9mm case.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .380 is so much smaller head diameter that it will likely fall out of a 9mm P clip. I don't know if the "umbrella" extractor in a 547 will engage the rim or not.
    The only objective review of the Medusa that I saw said that it was NOT reliable with .380.

Then there is the risk of the undersize case rupturing.

Don't do it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    .380 is so much smaller head diameter that it will likely fall out of a 9mm P clip. I don't know if the "umbrella" extractor in a 547 will engage the rim or not.
    The only objective review of the Medusa that I saw said that it was NOT reliable with .380.

Then there is the risk of the undersize case rupturing.

Don't do it.

This bug a boo about a undersized case rupturing, is more theoretical, ( old wives tale ), then realistic. In my personal experience.

At various times in the distant past. I have shot 357 Sig, in 40 S & W. And .380, in 9mm Makarov. With the only negative result of bulged unreloadable brass cases. No damage to either the pistol(s), or the shooter.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Some weapons have an extractor that will grip and hold the round. In these cases, you will be able to fire a .380 in a 9mm with fair up close balistics.
    In an emergency, I'd give it a whirl. There's many other combinations (.308 in 30-06, 16ga in a 12ga) that will work but are considered bad manners by the black and white people.

Improvision is sometimes the difference between life and death. Have the knowledge to know what's possible and what isn't is also a plus.