In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

556/223 subsonic

itchy300itchy300 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Any good recipes that will cycle an AR?

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No
    Get a 22LR upper
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope...not possible with the round you want to use. THe quickest way to get there is as has been suggested with a 22LR. The other fast alternative is the 300 Whisper/300 Blackout. Loaded with a 220 SMK you can get down to around 1050 FPS.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AR's have a direct gas impingement mechanism. The only possible way I could see it working subsonically. Is by using the heaviest bullets available.

Running from 77 to 90 grains. With the fastest twist barrel available, to stabilize them.

You would also need one of the gas blocks with a built regulator, to adjust the gas pressure, so it wouldn't batter the BCG. But allow enough gas through to operate the mechanism.

A lot of trial and error work ups, with various burning rate powders would be required. So that the load would be subsonic, but still function semi-automatically.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a company that is in the Dallas area called Becks Ammunition (used to be Right to Bear Ammo), that makes 5.56 subsonic ammunition. It shoots through their subsonic 5.56 upper. I buy all my subsonic 308 and 300 Blackout from them and it has all been excellent. Great web site.