In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1897 barrel roll mark question 4 Bert

M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester model 1897 12ga. takedown, E series six digit serial number. The shotgun appears to be original finish on the wood and metal but the full choke 30" barrel is suspect. Receiver number is E 664607 but the barrel is marked 664670?? Internet info puts the date of manufacture at 1919. Take a look at the barrel roll mark, is the barrel correct or of later manufacture? Thanks for any help![:)]

winchester%201897.jpg

Comments

• Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believer you have a later barrel. First, the slide is marked MODEL 1897 and the barrel is marked MODEL 97.

I have three 1897s that I believe to all be original:

--s/n 557370 has the Winchester company name and address and all the patent dates in very, very small print in 2 lines with 12 GA in larger print, along the top of the barrel with only "FULL" off to the side

s/n 866053 has the same info and type size as above, but off to the side in a similar location to yours.

Neither of the above have a model number on the barrel. Both have slide markings. The first is the same as yours, the other says MODEL 97 / Winchester / with a third line of trademark info.

s/n 955104 has the same roll mark as yours on its barrel and nothing at all on the slide.

It appears there are 2 Winchester proof marks on the top of your barrel, possibly sent back to the factory for repair/re-barrel/refinish which might explain why all the finish appears factory and matches with the newer barrel.

That could also explain the transposition error in the s/n if it was factory reworked and one part had a s/n re-stamped.

Interesting, cool old Winchester. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks oldWinchesterfan![:)] I also think that the shotgun may have been back to Winchester, the two proof marks on the barrel might indicate so.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    That barrel has a "mail order" proofmark. The shotgun did not originally ship with that barrel on it.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The slide bar marking is correct for the serial number, which was actually manufactured in September, 1917. The barrel is a mail order replacement part, and it was installed by someone other than Winchester. The person who installed more than likely mismarked the serial number on it... Winchester would not have made that mistake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert![:)] Thanks to everyone else also, I knew I would get the scoop here in the experts forum!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it my imagination or does the '7' appear to be struck deeper and more recently than the rest of the roll mark? It just doesn't look right to me.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Is it my imagination or does the '7' appear to be struck deeper and more recently than the rest of the roll mark? It just doesn't look right to me.

The "7" does look like it is more deeply struck, as does the leading part of the "W". Neither appears to be more recently struck though. Keep in mind that this is a "mail order" replacement part that was intended for sale and installation by an outside gunsmith.