In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HI STANDARD HD MILITARY ?? John S. PIX

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a H.S. hd military from a local pawn shop, Ser # 203777. date of mgf??..............also it has what looks like a light weight 'sleave' over the barrel and 2 ports on either side and in back of the front sight (muzzle brake). never saw one like this before (looks original). no pix until I get home next month
hs2_zpsw0cp6esx.jpg
hs1_zpsahvz2xst.jpg

EDIT;I went back and took a few pix, I cut my 'bullseye' teeth on Hi Standards

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It dates to 1947, per John Stimpson's, High Standard site. I don't know, if John is well or not? His son seems to be running the forum now?

Dollars to donuts, the custom barrel work is aftermarket. Between 1945, and the early 1950's. The H-S Military was the only game in town, if you wanted a reasonably priced target .22 pistol. The only other choice was the Colt Match Target.

Mostly you see the H-D Military, with after market adjustable sights. As the original sights suck, as far as easy and repeatable. Adjustments are concerned.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I just bought a H.S. hd military from a local pawn shop, Ser # 203777. date of mgf??..............also it has what looks like a light weight 'sleave' over the barrel and 2 ports on either side and in back of the front sight (muzzle brake). never saw one like this before (looks original). no pix until I get home next month

203,777 shipped as a catalog number 9050 on 10-20-1947 to account number 10 on invoice number 7612.

High Standard did not offer stabilizers until about mid 1954.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    It dates to 1947, per John Stimpson's, High Standard site. I don't know, if John is well or not? His son seems to be running the forum now?

Dollars to donuts, the custom barrel work is aftermarket. Between 1945, and the early 1950's. The H-S Military was the only game in town, if you wanted a reasonably priced target .22 pistol. The only other choice was the Colt Match Target.

Mostly you see the H-D Military, with after market adjustable sights. As the original sights suck, as far as easy and repeatable. Adjustments are concerned.

John Jr and John II are one and the same. Same old John Stimson who is well and approaching 71 years.

Micro Sights, an offshoot of the old King Sights made most of the aftermarket adjustable rear sights for the Model H-D Military. Micro had a booth at Camp Perry where they would install their sights while you waited.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    " Same old John Stimson who is well and approaching 71 years. "............thank you so much, John has 4 years on me. I don't doubt that the pistol has been 'up-graded' and can't wait to shoot it. Unfortunetly that is over a month away as I'm in southern Nv. and had to have the pawn shop ship it home.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rear sight is a Micro, as John noted Mike. Here is a photo of what the original adjustable sight, that High Standard used in the 40's looked like.

Some folks had so many problems adjusting it, that they lost their tempers. And tried to force it into position, without backing out the set screw sufficiently. Bought a H-D Military couple years ago, with a rear sight so badly battered it was actually bent.

pix010561808-600x600.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS RUFE, LIKE THEY SAY 'OUT HERE' THIS AIN'T MY FIRST RODEO, WHEN IT COMES TO HI STANDARDS. I'VE HAD HD'S, SPACE GUNS, CITATIONS,& VICTORS. FOR < 4 BILLS SHIPPED I COULD'NT PASS IT UP.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike nice pistol I have a small collection of HS pistols I have a Model G O in 22Short but along with this pistol I have a factory box with a field king Barrel and another factor ybox with a steel slide as you may know the field king was first made AFTER the last GO. and also THIS Field King has a ported barrel one at ELEVEN o:clock and the other at ONE o:clock The take down barrel removable of both a field king and a G series HS is a dovetail that goes straight in but this dove tail is different configuration the field king should be smaller than the g series but on my barrel marked field king it is the correct Larger size of the G O Pictures on request MY PHOTO BUCKET IS NOT WORKING
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my uncle's HD. It is one on my favorite pistols. Take the center out of clay birds at 100 yards. Tuned magazines for the pistol it will function flawlessly. I scored 4 more for it ($25 to $50) including one new in the wrapper. Make sure you understand how to take it apart. Enjoy it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks like the regular barrel profile for the model.
    Could the "sleeve" be a counterbore in the muzzle with those set screws holding in a front baffle to form a muzzle brake?
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Your rear sight is a Micro, as John noted Mike. Here is a photo of what the original adjustable sight, that High Standard used in the 40's looked like.

Some folks had so many problems adjusting it, that they lost their tempers. And tried to force it into position, without backing out the set screw sufficiently. Bought a H-D Military couple years ago, with a rear sight so badly battered it was actually bent.

Yep, had a HD Military with the 6 inch bull barrel.
    Sold it because eyes could no longer see the iron sights and did not want to mess it up with any scope mounts. Should have kept it.

To adjust the windage on the original real sight their is a screw under the hammer. Pull the hammer bak and you can see it. If it's not loosened off first the rear sight will be mutilated when trying to drift the sight for windage, It sure was a accurate and user friendly pistol. I installed different rear sight and think maybe I still have the original rear sight around here in my parts boxes.

pix010561808-600x600.jpg