In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

browning hi power misfire help

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
recently purchased a hi power DOM 1975. have found it misfires about 20% of the time. the misfires have a very light primer strike, the rounds that fire appear normal. pistol is clean and lubricated properly. at times it has taken three to four tries to get the round to fire. have only used one type of ammunition so far, Blaser Brass 115 gr. will try some other ammo as soon as i can get some. any ideas other than that? DOM 1975

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check that CHAMBER is clean- 9mm headspaces on the case mouth- crud at the front of the chamber can prevent round from seating properly, and round moves forward when FP strikes.

Check that FP channel is clean and lubed. Check that FP and FP spring are not damaged.
  • big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing it needs a new hammer spring.

Maybe you should be looking at the firing pin spring also.

Complete Wolf spring kit replacement set for the BHP.

I'd start there, FIRST !
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    do a spring kit
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second a spring set.

I would bet some bubba did a "trigger" job and cut a few coils off the hammer spring or replaced it with one that was to light.
    RLTW

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get a small wooden dowel about 10-12" long and put it into the barrel with the pistol pointing up and pull the trigger. If the firing pin is working correctly it should shoot the dowel almost out of the barrel.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    get a small wooden dowel about 10-12" long and put it into the barrel with the pistol pointing up and pull the trigger. If the firing pin is working correctly it should shoot the dowel almost out of the barrel.

A BIC pen and/or a Ticonderoga #2 will do the same thing and might be easier to locate
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varian
    recently purchased a hi power DOM 1975. have found it misfires about 20% of the time. the misfires have a very light primer strike, the rounds that fire appear normal. pistol is clean and lubricated properly. at times it has taken three to four tries to get the round to fire. have only used one type of ammunition so far, Blaser Brass 115 gr. will try some other ammo as soon as i can get some. any ideas other than that? DOM 1975

Since it seems you may be taking apart and reassembling your BHP, one trick I use to cut down on swearing & aggravation putting it back together is using a plastic loop to hold the hammer at full cock - one end holding back the hammer and the other hooked into the open magwell. Whether you're using a vise or not, leaves your two hands free for manipulating the sear, ejector and pins.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an issue with an HP where a piece of a primer was lodged in the firing pin hole and kept the firing pin from consistently making full contact with the primer.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    I had an issue with an HP where a piece of a primer was lodged in the firing pin hole and kept the firing pin from consistently making full contact with the primer.

Good point. I had the same issue with a SA EMP in 9mm. Was difficult to determine because after the misfire another pull would dislodge the bit of primer and all would go well. And it happened with only certain ammo brands, stouter stuff IIRC.