In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What the H@#$ is this?

406STROKER406STROKER Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
If someone knows what this is I will be pleasantly surprised!!! Thanks Eric. It came from an estate sale where there was a bunch of very old flintlocks and other military items. May be from a very early air gun? "L" markings all over it like the War of Northern Aggression era inspector marks and the NO. 482

nKdNFf.jpg
EmWC5R.jpg
UTp765.jpg

Here are the instructions for posting photos in this forum.
http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a scent bottle percussion lock part.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are right!!!Here it is after I looked up Sent lock. http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1337-extremely-rare-forsyth-patent-scent-bottle-double-fowler-39805/

Hence The F patent on front of it. Wonder what it is worth?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way to know what it is worth without listing it on an auction.

If there is even 1 person out there who has a rifle from which the lock is missing, he'd probably pay a lot to complete his rifle. Otherwise, it has little value to most collectors. You just never know.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1st off Thanks for all the input. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.
    Look at this other crazy item that I have no idea what it is. It came from the same estate sale. I also have a bunch of other items that came from here that I have no idea what it is but looked cool and expensive.LOL It is about 9" around and very heavy Bronze or brass?

FWU7Rg.jpg
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    No way to know what it is worth without listing it on an auction.

If there is even 1 person out there who has a rifle from which the lock is missing, he'd probably pay a lot to complete his rifle. Otherwise, it has little value to most collectors. You just never know.

Neal

One cravat. It takes 2 people that are missing that piece to run up the auction price. The second guy (loser in the first round) will get his for a song, as he's the only one bidding on it (lessons from rare cartridge collectors)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a bunch of the War of Northern Aggression cartridges also for an estate sale. Everything from 50 cal (actual the War of Northern Aggression ) paper wrapped shells to 32, 41 rimfire Maynards, Burnsides ect ect. Wish I could sell them but have never shipped ammo. I think they would bring a lot of $.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 406STROKER
    You are right!!!Here it is after I looked up Sent lock. http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1337-extremely-rare-forsyth-patent-scent-bottle-double-fowler-39805/

Hence The F patent on front of it. Wonder what it is worth?

The best probable market, (if it's authentic?), would be in Europe. Specially if it can be identified, as far as manufacturer/gunsmith, is concerned. The Scent Bottle type of percussion ignition, was only used for a limited time during the early years of the 19th Century. Until the percussion cap superseded it.

Fulminate of Mercury, the stuff that it was loaded with. Could be unstable and very dangerous. If in manufacturing, the internal tolerances of the Scent Bottle. And Fulminate of Mercury pellets weren't held to a very high standard. It could be a freaking bomb. Right next to your face, when you pulled the trigger.

Might try fleabay. It has a international clientele. Years ago I had a vintage holster made by Rod Redwing. The Hollywood stunt man and actor, etc. Really surprised, when a guy in Japan wound up buying it. Same, same for your scent bottle. Might be worth big bucks, if it can be identified and is authentic?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know what the round engraved thing is? Looks to be a collar or who knows what?
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know what the round engraved thing is? Looks to be a collar or who knows what?

how big is it?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Stand it up, are all the little holes on top?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bunch of the War of Northern Aggression cartridges also for an estate sale. Everything from 50 cal (actual the War of Northern Aggression ) paper wrapped shells to 32, 41 rimfire Maynards, Burnsides ect ect. Wish I could sell them but have never shipped ammo. I think they would bring a lot of $.

UPS or Fed-Ex, GROUND ONLY, NO hazmat fees unless the shipment weighs more than 75lb.
    Do NOT attempt to ship via USPS or by air.
    Gut and paper $20-$75, the maynards and burnsides go from $10-50 ea. Rimfires run from $0.50 to $5 ea (they are common).
    Depending on where you are, you could also hit the Saint Louis International Cartridge Show (SLICS) the 3 days before Easter (Renaissance Airport Hotel, St Louis, MO)