In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brass punch for gun sights

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
Can a brass punch be used to drive out iron sights on guns without scratching or damaging the sight?

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the only realistic answers to that are "usually" or "sometimes". Often, it seems, those sights just don't want to move! Remember to drive them out from the left toward the right since there's a slight taper. And, Good Luck.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even a brass punch can leave a noticeable dent if it slips. I've taken to masking, any of the surrounding surfaces that I don't want to be marred. With small pieces of gorilla duct tape, if at all possible.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the Williams Co. used to make a very handy tool for removing or installing front sights. Maybe they are still available. (a screw mechanism)
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

the Williams Co. used to make a very handy tool for removing or installing front sights. Maybe they are still available. (a screw mechanism)

Had one, only would work on front sights that were easily accessible. Pretty useless, for rear sights on different handguns.

Brownells sells sight removers, that really work well. But they are very expensive, as they have highly machined parts. This is to adapt them, so that they will work on many different types of guns.

Not cost effective, if don't work on many gun sights a month.
  • Options
    briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that left to right as you are looking from rear of stock to the end of barre?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,372 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by briguy
    Is that left to right as you are looking from rear of stock to the end of barre?
    Well, on automobiles, trucks, and machinery, left/right is always from the operator's station. I would think firearms would be the same. Left/right from the firing position.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yes..
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can a brass punch be used to drive out iron sights on guns without scratching or damaging the sight?

Generally, yes. I'm finicky about scratches on nice guns and usually use a brass punch. Sometimes putting a piece of plastic or cardboard between punch and sight but you need to be careful because putting anything between them can lessen the impact or cause slippage, mis-strike.

Brass usually leaves some of itself on the gun but it's easily rubbed off.

There are various "sight pushers" out there but you need to be careful. The driving part usually is a steel point and that can easily leave a mark, especially if the sight is in tight. And lining up the pusher point can be a challenge. Done incorrectly the steel point is torqued against the slide or barrel and you're cranking away on the screw only to find an impression on your slide, usually at the cocking slide cuts. Or you've dug your own version of the Panama Canal across the bottom of the dovetail cut. [:(]

I'd try a punch, nylon, delrin or brass first. If not in a hurry a spot of oil can't hurt.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is always left to right, looking down the gun like you are firing it, driving the sight out, and right to left, driving it in.

That said, I ALWAYS use a good quality brass punch, making sure the work piece has a SOLID foundation, and will not move, and use enough hammer so to lessen the amount of strikes needed to get the job done. Too small of a hammer will promote deformity of the end of the punch mating to the sight, and cause slippage, and make the job more stressful than need be.

One more thing to be aware of, is that frequently sights are staked in, and to carefully look for evidence of that before you start the job. A good example of this is on the new S&W Shields. They use a stake punch that is almost the size of the sight tab that is in the dovetail. To overcome that, I use a technique with a little butane torch, then the punch and hammer.

Once again...a drop of good oil, like Kroil always helps during removal, and onstallation of these sights.

Best
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have also used a Derilin (plastic) drift. Doesn't always work it the sight is really tight but it won't leave any mark.