In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun barrels

redchestnutredchestnut Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
Where is a good place to go to buy replacement shotgun barrels. I would like to find one for a Winchester 1300 with screw-in choke tubes

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a rifled 12 ga. barrel, Can I shoot any slugs through it. And another question, does the barrel length restrictions count with rifled barrels.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the benefit of longer barrels?

Sperling PE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to know how easy it is for a gunsmith to cut down an 1100 shotgun barrel. I'm simply interested in cutting down a left-handed (hard to find) 30" fixed full choke barrel to a 26" IC. My simple mind just wants to hunt ducks and roosters. I have a 1100, but the hastings barrel I bought 18 years ago is for 3" shells but my 1100 is chambered for 2 3/4" It works, but will not cycle shells occasionally.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shotgun barrels, rifled or not, have to be at least 18" in length.

Yes you can shoot any slugs thru it, but you will not like the results with rifled slugs. The rifling in the barrel shaves the lead, and fills the grooves. Accuracy drops off, and they are a pain to clean and get all the lead out. For the little gained in distance from rifled barrels and $15.00/box of 5 sabot slugs, my preference is a smoothbore with a good rifled slug.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot home cast Lyman sabot slugs 540gr in my smooth bore 20" pistol gripped 870. 3# coffee at 90 yards using my mid bead as the rear sight with the choke tubed marked sheet #2.

I would say test the loads in your gun and see what works. Shooter's Choice will clean out plastic and lead residue nicely.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of the Model 87, Thompson Center rifles years ago. One of the barrels was a 12 gauge smooth bore. It fouled very badly with slug loads. Very heavy build up of lead, pretty much did a number on accuracy.

Ballistic products in MN, sells various specialized shotgun loading accessories. One is a special wad, that you can load a slug in. The wad is deep enough that it protects the barrel from leading. If I were to get back into firing slugs. That's the rout, I would take.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wish I could understand the logic on shotgun barrel length, Is there a restriction on barrel length of rifles And the legality of .410 pistols eludes me.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chestnut- rifle barrels must be at least 16 inches, overall length at least 26. Shotguns at least 18 inches, overall 26. This comes from a Federal law, the 1934 National Firearms Act.

A "410 pistol" has to be rifled, can shoot .45 Colt. If smoothbore, it becomes a NFA regulated firearm.

A rifled bore greater than 50 cal moves it to the class of "Destructive Device" (think cannon) unless you can show that it has a sporting purpose- like deer hunting with a rifled 12 g, African big game with a .600 Nitro Express, etc.