In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

P.Powell&Son RIFLE! PICS added

TBSON67TBSON67 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have one of Mr. Powell's RIFLES. Through extensive searching on the web, bookstores, resources, and fellow enthusiasts, I cannot come up with anything. Only a few scant pictures of shotguns, but no rifles. Wording from old reprints, and mentions are all I find. What I would like to find out, and share, is possible the time frame produced, (I'm kinda clear with the &Son) label, but any info otherwise. It might be hand made, it might just have the name slapped on another mfg's existing parts...Who knows. Maybe worth - but seem's to be a white elephant. My computer goes a little nut's when I try a different hosting sites for pictures, so I could e-mail someone who might be interested in assisting discovering some fact's, or sharing something that has not randomly been seen.
Thanks to all. TS

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per my reference. Palemon Powell, Cincinnati OH. Started in business in Walnut St., 1835. Became P. Powell and Son in 1870. After 1891, traded as Powell & Clement.

Not listed in Flayderman's Guide, to antique U.S. firearms. As a manufacturer or gunsmith.

My reference wasn't sure if he was a manufacturer, or just a retailer of firearms. If he was just a retailer, he could of obtained it from any local gunsmith?

U.S. made arms had no requirements for proof marks, as European and English made guns did. If the rifle was custom ordered, one of a kind from a local gunsmith. Difficult to trace? Value would depend on condition, cosmetics, sights and caliber. Might try removing the barrel, to see if there any concealed markings below the wood line.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could have been either way..... I know it's a tough search pertaining with the Powell information available.... Like I 've mentioned, it COULD be a special order, another's mfg with just the name applied, or a custom build. Seem's like this might be intrigeuing just a lil..... I've searched high and low, not to see a RIFLE in a picture with many offered throughout the time frame. The quest continues..... Thanks.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are the photographs:

Powell0018.jpg

Powell0020.jpg

Powell0015.jpg

Powell0017.jpg

Powell0004.jpg

Powell0003.jpg

Powell0002.jpg

Powell0013.jpg

Powell0006.jpg

Powell0012.jpg
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of Powell rifle?
    1939 Stoegers shows a Powell double express rifle made "in all calibers to the individual requirements and specifications of the user" for a mere $625.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You for posting the pictures for me! A lil info which might be of help=
    the barrel is 30'' long.
    Overall length is 47''
    Weighs 10 lbs
    Bore measured at the end of the barrel is .420
    Adjustable rear sight
    No numbers, markings, cartouches

Interested to see what becomes of this....
    Thanks to all![:)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 observations.

The lock is what is known as a "back action". Would date the rifle to the transition period. 1860/70+?, when rifles using cartridges. Superseded, percussion muzzle loaders.

Unfortunately it appears to have been "cleaned"/refinished?. The obvious wear, oxidation, handling marks etc. To be found on a 140+ year old rifle, aren't apparent.

Might consider doing a chamber cast. Finding out what cartridge it is chambered for. Might shed additional light, on it's prior usage/history.

Since P. Powell & Son is marked on the lock plate. If they were in the firearms, & gunsmith supply business. Perhaps they just sold locks and other supplies, to gunsmiths in the Ohio region. Where they lived. And that would be there only connection with the rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your info/imput. Appreciated! PM sent.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone else care to chime in? Thanks.