In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

German P 38

ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I am getting up in years and have decided to buy one of the above to add to my small WW2 collection.
Much of what I have read regarding the P 38 is that Speewerke is last on the list as to quality and the prices reflect same.
So, I ask asking The Experts as there is a wealth of knowledge that pops in and out of this forum.
I realize the finish will be less than a Walter or Mauser model but after 43, every manufactures quality as to finish went south.
As far as the mechanics, is a Spreewerke similar to the other manufactures or way off?
Many thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your question isn't clear, re "mechanics". My experience is that they are rough, but they work. As far as interchageability of parts? Don't know if Mauser or Walther parts? Would be drop in, or require some hand fitting?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My limited experience has been that the Spreewerke pistols function as well as the others. The only difference is that the Spreewerke guns have really coarse machining marks on the exterior surfaces.

Neal
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Tool marks aren't polished out and they have an odd hammer with gear-like teeth.
    Otherwise they're pretty much the same.
    If I remember right, Eagle 77 or 88 is the Waffenamt on the mag and the pistol parts.
    Don't count on them being much cheaper than the others. ALL P.38's of wartime vintage have gotten quite valuable.
  • ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Spree in my hands now. Yes, I can see machine marks but I see a tool that is still as shoot-able as any of the others. Internals fine and a good pistol. I have had about all the P-38s and they are all good functioning guns. Good luck.[:)]
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sprees sported identical mechs & roughest finish.
    Proofs should read: WaA88* on frame, WaA359 on slide
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by b0400879
    Sprees sported identical mechs & roughest finish.
    Proofs should read: WaA88* on frame, WaA359 on slide

That is incorrect. Eagle 359 is the Waffenamt for Walther. cyq slides are also Eagle 88

Feel free to verify with current auctions:

www.GunBroker.com/item/629683731

www.GunBroker.com/item/628916595
  • ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks to all of you!
  • jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    Hello...from my limited experience I believe no one mfgr is better than any, other finish on the late war pistols tends to be poor. If you find one make sure the de cocker/safety is functional They are badly made and prone to breakage. Replacement safety parts are difficult to find as they do not interchange with the post war versions. What ever you do don't let the hammer drop when using the decocker ...Lower it carefully as it will break parts in the slide....