In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7x57r drilling

45calmuzzleloader45calmuzzleloader Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a JP Sauer & Sohn 12/70 x 7x57r model 3000 drilling. I have some Prvi Partizan factory 139 grain ammo. It shoots 4.5" high at 100 yards with the open sights. Can anyone tell me what weight/speed bullet the sights are regulated for and at what distance?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am afraid, that only you can find out that information, but I am guessing that it would be the 175 grain Round nose, at 100 meters/yards.
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4.5 high @ 100 yds.=zero @ 270 yds.On an animal with a 10 inch vital zone you would make a clean kill everywhere from 19 yds. to 320 yds.by aiming at the center of the vital zone.From "Shoot Better Three"by
    Charles W. Mathews ballistics tables.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At this link you will find a listing, for Norma manufactured 156 grain Oryx. My WAG is that your drilling would be sighted in for this ammo, as it is pretty much the gold standard for hunting ammo in Europe.

As Sauer Drilling's are likely to be special order, made on a custom basis. The guy that bought it, could have specified. That the rifle sight be regulated, for a non standard bullet weight. Only way for you to find out. is to buy all the available bullet weights. And fire them all at 100 yds. As I said above though, IMHO it's likely to be the 156 Norma Oryx, as referenced above.

https://www.norma.cc/us/Products/Hunting/7x57-R-Mauser/
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45calmuzzleloader,

Just a little food for thought:

Here is the link to the Privi Partizan ballistics page for the 173 grain SP ammunition:

https://www.prvipartizan.com/search_rb.php?id=A-090

Note that the sight in distance is 150 meters. Also note that the velocity is substantially reduced from the CIP standard.

Besides working with the ammunition to achieve your goals, there is also the possibility that you can replace the front sight bead with a new one which is taller. This will force the muzzle down and accomplish what you want without trying to balance the ammunition. The replacement sights are available from New England Custom Guns:

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Front_Sights.asp

You can call them for assistance in selecting the proper bead and height. IIRC you tap the original sight forward towards the muzzle then tap the new one in from the front to the rear. Ask them for guidance or maybe even send it off to them for fitting.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the replies. I am going to try some heavier bullets. I am also going to try some handloads, I'm thinking low velocity and heavy 173-175 gr. bullet should lower the impact.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The loads listed by PPU are 730 meters/sec. or 2400 fps. approximately, for the light and heavy bullets. I suspect this is with regard to the older stalking, doubles and drillings still in shooting condition.

Best.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    handloading will benefit your drilling, not only in bullet regulation but performance
    on your intended target. A drilling rifle barrel will shoot away from its two upper shot barrels. That is down.
    How much so depends upon vibration motion direction at the exact moment the bullet leaves the barrel, and that is velocity .. I have found 120 gr ballistic tip 7mm to be very effective in terminal results mushroom upset and trajectory. I would try that weight range and adjust the velocity to achieve regulation. It requires tuning by slight velocity changes, and sometimes you go too far in the wrong direction (tuning) .
    Keep in mind that bullet performance must
    be considered as well as where it strikes . You did not mention a scope, if so
    then bring the scope to a setting to match the iron sights.
    Having satisfied that , begin with brenneke slugs on the more open choke of the
    12 gauge barrels and achieve both rifle and (reasonable )slug regulation .....now you have
    a drilling!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Getting the most from your drilling. Advice from 55 yrs of experience. Think first of what
    game and distance you intend on hunting and pick a bullet to match those needs.
    A drilling is very accurate due to a triangulated stiffness of three barrel design, yet
    it does react to bullet travel barrel vibrations. The reactions will normally be in the
    vertical plane of shot placement. Most drillings have little to no iron sight adjustment
    with the exception of apeture sights. And such start "tuning" by bench shooting with
    handloads to obtain a result of bullet placement within the velocity desired.
    Next adjust your scope (if equipped) by provision of see thru mount to coincide
    with the now regulated iron sights. Having achieved this now move on to slugs.
    Usually a more open choke will give best results but not always , experiment and
    consider which of the two triggers you prefer as a slug. This in effect gives you a
    double rifle capability with one trigger for the rifle (of the same/selector)
    and the other for a slug. You may even achieve good results with slugs in both
    barrels, although the optimun set up is one rifle,one slug, one shot barrel.
    Obtain a scope case shoulder strap and carry and hunt with your drilling in
    iron sight mode and attach the scope when a longer shot is presented.
    Brenneke make a large assortment of 12 ga slugs , 16 gauge slugs are available
    but I advise reducing the load of drillings made prior to 1950 . One other
    tip //removing a original style brenneke slug (wad screw attached ) and sanding down
    the helical rifling to match the choke perfectly and reducing the charge or substituting
    7625 powder load is a great way to tune a pre war
    drilling. And please refer to drilling as "dry-ling" the correct pronunciation
    for german "3" , the only thing you will be drilling is game!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The area I hunt, shots greater than 150 yards are rare. Most of the time 50 yards or less. There are no claw mounts so a scope is not an option. Both barrels appear to be full choke measuring .685. Both barrels throw standard 8 pellet 000 buck in a deadly pie pan sized clump at 35 yards. I had a limited selection of lead small shot 1 1/4 oz. #4 and #5. Both pattern well enough to ruin a turkeys morning. I have not fired any slugs yet but I plan to do so, I have had good results with Fed. Tru ball in my other smooth bores. I contacted Hodgdon for 7x57r load data, they instructed me to use their 7x57 Mauser data. I plan on following Hodgdon's advice but will stay close to the starting loads. I would like to have the rifles point of impact 1" or 1 1/2" high at 100 yards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7x57r is a excellent round for a break open action due to it being a rimmed
    cartridge. I have found good results with 4895 powder filling the cartridge to a
    perfect level and there is a wide variety of
    bullets. As a drilling, you have room for overall cartridge length not
    restrained by magazine length . Allowing you to seat long ballistic bullets out
    to the rifling.
    as you work with loads keep in mind you have other options for lowering bullet
    impact. The front sight usually can be tapped out of its dovetail . allowing you to
    replace with a higher sight (file down as you shoot) or on original front sight ( stand up
    flat blade I assume) extend its height by adding epoxy( jb weld with black dye, )and again file down as you shoot..
    The epoxy can be removed later if desired.
    The rear leaf a pop up i assume is held in with a simple cross pin, you can easily remove and replace
    with a blade allowing you to file the slot lower. all of this requires competent gunsmithing but not a high degree of effort. the amount of front sight height added
    is very little to lower impact from 4 inch to 1 inch @ 100 yards .
    A competent gunsmith can even calculate the front sight height required and come very close
    to the alteration ,allowing for final tuning at the range.
    as for turkey hunting , I have taken many a coyote ( out of shotgun range) with the rifle barrel of a drilling that came to my turkey decoy set up and thus help protect the flock.