In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Faliure to extract

ppcshooterppcshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a Springfield 1911 in 45 ACP. It has been customized by a good smith. For some reason the pistol has been having a faliure to eject on the 5th round in the magazine. I have used the same mags in a Kimber and another Springfield with no problems. I have all Metal Form mags with round followers. It seems like the ejecting problems happen with 3 of the 12 mags but not every time. Ammo being shot has been used with the other guns with no problems. The recoil spring is also lighter than the other guns. This problem just started.

I continue to be told it is the mags, but why do they never fail in other guns.

Any Help?????????
Thanks

Comments

• leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a stove pipe jam? Or is it a double feed jam?

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • MAD DAWGMAD DAWG Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First: What is the problem - Failure to Extract or Failure to Eject? Second: If failure to eject - does the round 'smoke stack' or does it just stay essentially straight ahead - almost going back into the chamber but jamming on the case mouth (or sometimes even going back in to the chamber)? Third - are you using Hardball or Wadcutter magazines? The feed lips on Hardball magazines are essentially straight with a slight 'flaring' angle to them. The feed lips on Wadcutter magazines have a very pronounced outward 'step' about half way forward from the back of the magazine.
    Are you shooting handloads, or factory, and what bullet type. Answer these questions and then we can get to work solving things.
    Best.........!
  • rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to get off the topic here. It sounds like you guys know what your talking about. I have a 1911. I have a failure to load a new round. I bought a new recoil spring, and it helped. If I shoot ball ammo no problem. If I shoot winchester hollow points, I get a jam sometime. I would say 5% of the time. The slide is almost closed, and the bullet is stuck, not aligned properly with the barrel. I really hate to have someone do work on it. I don't trust anyone. I would rather use ball ammo, than risk a bad gunsmith job.

Rameleni1
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    May just need a simple feedramp polish, does the mouth of the chamber have tool marks shown on it? If so have it polished, but professionally.

You may try using new magazines, try both Chip McCormik and Wilson, most guns seem to favor one or the other.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No marks on the mouth. I only use Colt mag's. Like I said its very rare to happen, but it does with hollowpoint ammo. Never with ball. I don't want to take a chance.

Rameleni1
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you say you shoot Winchester hollowpoints, do you mean Silvertip hollowpoints? I have found Silvertips to reliably feed in all 1911's I have ever owned. Their shape is very close to ball ammo. I use them exclusively in my 45ACP pistols.
  • ppcshooterppcshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First: Failure to Eject? Second: The round just stays essentially straight ahead - almost going back into the chamber but jamming on the case mouth, never stove pipes. Third - are you using Hardball or Wadcutter magazines? I never knew there was a difference. Factory (Metal Form) with round followers
    Are you shooting handloads, or factory, and what bullet type. I have shot both. I have been shooting 200gr wc with 4.2 to 5.0 Bullseye to 185 HP RN with 231 and factory WC RN and HP all doing the same thing. I have looked at the mags that give most of the problem and could not detect the slightest difference in shape or form, but I did not measure against on another yet. (This Weekend) I have also used the mag that came with the Kimber and it happened a few times. The Kimber will fire everything that I have loaded and used in the problem gun and the same mags with no problem yet.

Very Confused
  • fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GO BACK TO THE GUNSMITH!!!! IF 3 OF 12 MAG'S DON'T WORK, DON'T USE THEM!!! HAVE THE GUNSMITH CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!