In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

best .22 ammo for squirrels

jggjgg Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
Would like advise on the best (most accurate) ammo to shoot thru my .22 browning auto take down for small game (squirrels)

Comments

• punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Not for a short answer but try as many different brands as you can. For some reason a 22 seems to be the most ammo sensitive gun there is. I have not had any squirrels get up from a good head shot if I was using hyper-vel hollow points or standard vel round nose.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most any 22 ammo will be powerful enough for squirrels at the right distance. Accuracy is a different story, there is no easy answer other than trying out different kinds of ammo on your own.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its all about the same, unless you buy that especially low velocity aguila stuff, I don't think I'd use it.

Just buy one box of every different kind of 22 ammo you can find (a little box, its cheap) and take your gun out, and group it. See what your gun likes the best. The go buy several boxes of that particular lot of ammo from the same place you got it from, as many as you can practically afford, and use it till you run out. As long as you don't move it around alot and keep it in a decent climate controlled area out of sunlight, it will practically last forever.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried most of the .22 ammo out there. For the price, I like the Remington Viper .22lr. I have had the best luck with this round.

Rameleni1
    edited November -1
    I haven't tried the Viper yet, but I've shot the thunderbolt, liked it ok, but my Marlin seems to favor federal lightning.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accuracy is probably more important than anything else. Other than that most HPs should do the job.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
    edited November -1
    I agree...

Something funny I've observed about shooting HP 22's compared to rounds nose, and even those copper coated ones, is that if you shoot them into sand and then dig them up, they all expand, mushroom, and look exactly the same.

• TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee - Isn't that good ?
    edited November -1
    Yup

• poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Rem. Target (Standard velocity) in my 10/22. The main reason is that there'e no sharp crack that scares the squirrels; in fact they seem to come out when I shoot to see what's going on. I checked penetration compared to high velocity stuff by shooting both into oak boards and the standard velocity stuff has plenty of power for squirrels. Also, Rem. Target ammo is widely available, including Wal Mart. Regards, posh.
  • JABSJABS Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read somewhere that the Browning SA-22 prefer the standard velocity ammo. It is also true for mine. Up to now, my takedown prefer the CCI standard velocity.
  • altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Lapua Scoremax. It is a high accuracy cartridge utilizing
    a 48gr bullet used for small game, windy conditions, etc. It
    is sub-sonic by design but very, very consistent and accurate.
    At 48gr, it's about 20% heavier than most bullets and gives
    you all the accuracy you will ever need.

enjoy,
  • fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BUY 10 OR MORE BOXES OF DIFFERENT AMMO, GO TO THE RANGE, FIND THE AMMO THAT SHOOTS THE BEST!!!! IT WILL KILL ANYTHING YOU SHOOT!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wont say iys the most accurate,because you can shoot oe shell and hear it crack as it fires then you will get one that just goes Pow.So its not all loaded the same but just last night I shot 200 Rds of Rem thunderbolt ammo.Each targeet had a fist sized hole in it at 50yrds.So it was shooting in the same place each time.And thats good enough for me.The best 22 ammo I guess I know of is federal classic Target.But its to expensive for plinking.I try to plink with the amm I intend to hunt with.

Best!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret