In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which handgun and why?

rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1911 gov. and a .357 Taurus, with the hammer safety set screw. Which one should I use for home protection?. The problem is, I have a 7 year old son. He is Autistic, but very smart. I keep the 1911 hidden out of sight. He doesn't know where it is, or how to operate it. I have a 20 lb spring in the gun. I keep 5 rds ball ammo in it, nothing in the chamber. I use the ball ammo because of never having feeding problems with it. Even if my son found the gun, he could never pull back the slide. I had my ex try it, and my mother (who is a big woman), and neither could even budge the slide. I gave my son a Crossman co2 powered pistol last week. I let him shoot it, with only the co2 in, no pellets. He likes it very much, but can barely pull the 5 lb trigger on it. Should I keep the 1911, or use the .357 with the locking hammer. My fear is not being able to unlock the hammer quick enouph when needed. I head on one user here wearing the key around his neck. I can see myself doing that in a few years, but not now. I really think that it would take me too long to unlock the gun to be any good for home protection.

Rameleni1

Comments

• mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really hate locks on guns and totally hate ones built into guns, but I could see putting a gun in a locked case. There are a number of electronic cases that provide quick access and security. The little key thing sounds like a tactical nightmare--a good way to get yourself killed. That way you could choose the gun you like best. Personally I like a cocked and locked 1911 but the wheelgun is probably a better choice for home protection--you could use 38 +Ps if the 357 was a bit much and you don't have to worry about rotating magazines or working a safety.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't keep a gun locked up where you can't get to it when you need it... At night when you go to bed, take it out, unlock it, load it up ready to shoot with a flashlight next to it so it will be right there when you need it. And when you wake up, either take it with you or unload it and lock it up.

When I was little my father taught me to respect his firearms, and anytime I wanted to hold one all I had to do was ask... But if I didn't ask and I went messing, then it was my rear end. A dangerous time is when your not home where he can't ask, and he has a friend over he might want to show off daddy's gun to. Believe me, I'm only 21, and I still remember doing it. Thats the time alot of accidents happen. Thats why its very important to talk about it with your kid, don't expect them to know it, and refreshing their memory time to time doesn't hurt. Teach them how to completely unload the firearm and make sure its not loaded. Make sure they know that just cause the magazine is out that the gun can still have a round in the chamber.

My father did keep every gun he had loaded, and took one with him everywhere, but when he left the house, they were all locked up in the safe where I couldn't get to them and neither could a buglar. It wasn't till I was old enough that I started buying my own guns did he actually ever give me the combination to it.

Just some advice from experience, hope it helps.

I honestly wish that there were non-liberal training for adults with children on how to handle guns. Everyone I've ever seen told parents to lock up all there guns and keep the ammo in a seperate locked up place. I'm firmly against this school of thought because an unloaded locked up gun is useless in a fight, and in the time it takes the burgler with the knife to get from the door to you, you won't have time to get to a gun, then go get ammo, load it up, and shoot. No way.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually I would say the revolver but since you are more specific I would say the 1911. The little guy will have to do three or four steps to make it go off. If you are really really concerned you might want to take the mag out and carry it in your pocket until night time.
  • rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Royc38, That is a very good idea. Like I said, my son is Autistic. I left out that he does need constant care. His room is "safe", and thats the only place he is left unattended. The removal of the mag would only add a few seconds to ready mode.

Rameleni1
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the manual safety on the 1911 he wouldnt be able to work the slide.
    When I was about 12 or 13, I had a blank pistol that was drilled through the barrel. It was loaded with a 22 lr with the bullet pulled and a wad of toilet paper in the case. The gun was in the pocket of my pants. The family awoke Sunday morning to a shot and a scream. My six year old brother found the pistol and was trying to cock the hammer against the refrigerator corner with one palm on the barrel and the other one on the butt. It slipped and fired the wad into his palm.
    The Dr. treated the wound with a Sulfa drug and the wound swelled up considerably. There seemed to be no end to the paper wadding that
    eventually came out.
    Needless to say I was in deep do do.
    The Keylock hammer may be the best of the two choices if your son doesn't know the gun needs a key and the key is on your wrist or on a chain around your neck. You have a tough one.
    There is a one gun safe that recognizes your hand. That might be your safest bet.
  • gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    In your case, I would not leave anything unlocked. If it needs to be loaded, it would be on me always, except at night, it would be in a hand gun safe with the hand code feature.

I take my kids to the range and they know all the golden rules, therefore respects all firearms, but your case is different if he's autistic. They are so smart, it's spooky. I would not depend on him not being strong enough because he'll find a way to make it go boom.

GD
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion use the one you feel confident with and shoot well.

Best!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • doomsknight62doomsknight62 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the one and only time I will say this...but go with the revolver. I have seen too many 1911's misfire or jam. I know they are good guns...they wouldn't have been around so long if they really sucked....but I would feel better using the revolver, if I had to. I know the locking hammer is a pain, but like one member suggested, if it worries you then get your revolver out at night and put it away in the morning. Besides, with a .357, you don't have to hit your target to make them think twice about coming any closer...the sound and the flash should be enough to deter anybody!

" God is in His Heaven, All is Right in the World. "
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Lee, you really do not have time for unlocking and loading. If you have three seconds from the time the goon gets in the house, that'll be a lot. I keep a loaded gun under my pillow and another in a drawer.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rameleni1 being someone who has a Autistic stepson myself I understand,and have had to ponder this same thing.I have also had some situations were I had to grab a gun fast and there is no way I would have had time to unlock it.Another thing,my wife hates autos and will only use a revolver.First our son is very repetative because of his autisim and stays in a redged routeen.He never goes into the our bedroom,which the door is always closed.My wife keeps her 38 Taurus under the bottom drawer,not in,under in the nite stand on her side.I keep my Glock,chamber empty w/twelve rounds in the mag in my top dresser drawer.Before I moved in my current residents,my earlier dwelling had a divider running along the ceiling between the dinning and living rooms that was counter sunk and I sat a mossberg pump with chamber empty in it.That was the perfect spot,totally out of view and easy to grab.Hope this has been helpful.CW

1.A near miss is still a miss!
    2.Before I got married I spent half my money on women and guns,THE REST I WASTED!
    3.Wasn't me!
    4.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!