In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Beretta vs. Taurus

mcbabmcbab Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
Is there any difference between Beretta 92 and the Taurus pt-92?
Can parts and magazines interchange? Is Taurus as good as the Beretta?

Comments

• mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about part interchange, my guess is that they don't.

FWIW, you might very well find a satisfactory Taurus and save some bucks out the door. But it's still just a copy, resale value is not so good.

The Beretta is pretty much an industry standard, very reliable, easy to get parts, mags and accessories and could well last you a lifetime depending how much you shoot it. I bought mine on impulse, but have never regretted it. One of the best 9mm ever made and a great shooter. Even though I like some other guns more, I really enjoy filling up a bunch of hi cap mags and heading for the range with it.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One really big difference is that the Taurus has the safety on the frame, whereas the beretta's is on the slide. But I don't own a Taurus so thats all I can really tell ya.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never owned either guns. I rented and shot them at my range. I really didn't like the long trigger pull.

Rameleni1
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are only a few parts that interchange between the two guns. The barrels, the take down levers, some of the internals, etc. The Taurus isn't a copy, it is an updated version of the older Beretta design. Back in the 1970's Beretta built a factory in Brazil and made guns for the Brazilian gov't. When they had completed their contracts, they were going to pack everything up and ship it back to Italy. Taurus (already at that time a Brazilian gun maker) came in and said if you want to leave everything, machines, blue prints, tooling, etc. We'll buy the place, lock, stock, and barrel. Not wanting to move everything back to Italy and not expecting to be in conflict with Taurus (neither company had much to do with the US at that time), Beretta sold them the factory. In time, both companies started competing for the US dollar. As the years went on both Taurus as well as Beretta made changes to the design, safety position, ambi safety, mag release position and style, grip screw location, etc. Hence the two have several differences today, but at one time they would have interchanged.

As for the investment concept, Beretta has the name and the reputation. Taurus has the warranty, life-time, goes with the gun, no matter how many people have owned it. Beretta: 1 year to the original owner, the next person is hosed. There are more specific accessories for the Beretta. The Taurus is cheaper, but unfortunately their resale value is no where near as good. With the life-time warranty they should hold their value better, but they don't.

I hope this helps.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check this out, Beretta 96 with surefire classic tactical light mounted, used, swat trade in, under $400...

Now tell me that aint a deal...

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy the taurus, save money, life time warranty, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taurus is as good or better than Beretta,I dont think parts are interchangeable.As far as mags go I think I tried it and they wouldnt seat,I may be wrong,I will try it for sure later and if Im wrong I will post it for you.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both and I have to say the finish on the Berettas are better but everything else I would take the Taurus.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have Taurus and Beretta 9mm and 40 S&W pistols. I usually say that the Taurus is a better design and the Beretta is better made. The US military still has problems with the slides cracking on the Beretta. This does not happen on the Taurus. I do put Beretta barrels in my Taurus 9mm and 40 S&W pistols as the seem to be a little more accurate.
  • NOTPOSTALNOTPOSTAL Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I went through the academy 10 yrs ago one of the instructors and I were BSin and this subject came up, he was of the opinion that the Taurus was the better gun between the two. He also thought my weapon of choice was the best, GLOCK.

...from my cold dead fingers!!