In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sykes-Fairborne Knife

MaxInMiamiMaxInMiami Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
My father recently passed away, and in going thru his effects, I have discovered a Sykes commando knife. As my father was an active duty pilot who served in WWII,Korea & Vietnam I doubt that he went out and bought a fake commando knife to sew on to his flight boots.Okay, experts, how can I authenticate this knife as being an original?

Comments

• Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might be asking the wrong experts, as this is a firearms forum. BUT--I think you'll have a tough time, as replicas are being made currently. The knife has been in almost steady production here and there around the world since the end of W.W.II. You'll probably need to have it visually appraised by a knife expert. Any markings or date would, of course, help.
  • mastershooter357mastershooter357 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a real one in the earily 1960s. All I can tell you is that the blade is marked Shefield England. Not sure how to spell Shefield and the knife is not right at hand.

mastershooter357
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friends' father got one during WW2. The butt end came to a sharp point for caving skulls. It had the form of a chocolate kiss. Repros that I've seen didn't have this feature.
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd pose the question on BladeForums. The Sykes Fairbairn is pretty much the same kind as the present Applegate Fairbairn made by Boker if memory serves me. If the knife is in good condition, a collector might pay handsomely for it, but a user would likely just by a Boker.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead