In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Assault Weapons legal in Cali!

nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
I recently got my C&R License and was looking through the gun laws for California and somewhere's in there it stated, 'anyone with a need for a assault weapon in California can apply for a permit through the California Department of Justice'. Well I'm active duty military and thought I could justify it to use the weapon to defend myself against terrorists. After contacting the DOJ they mailed me the application and it does have a $73 filing fee attached but you folks in Cali. can own a Assault Weapon, just join the National Guard or Reserves. It authorizes me to possess and transport a assault weapon but unfortuneately no gun shop will still sell me one in state to cover their butts. A question for you, Cali Gun laws state no weapon classified as an antique will be considered an assault weapon. Well if the SKS is on the BATF's Curio and Relic list shouldn't the sks be legal to purchase in state with my C&R License? I'd probably have to hire a lawyer to sort that question out. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    'Curio and Relic' are not synonymous with 'antique', esp. not under California assault weapon bans. Since the Roberti-Roos listing specifically includes the SKS (with detachable magazine) - even if it were an antique (which it isn't) it would still be banned.

The standard SKS (w/fixed magazine) is not banned in the PRK.

Go to http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/ca.htm

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Assault Weapons legal in Cali!"
    I thought you were talking about Sling Shots.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So if "no gun shop will still sell me one in state to cover their butts" and I've read on (other threads) that even dealers outside the Kali state lines wont sell a Kali resident an Assault "STYLE" weapon, your only option is to buy it outside of Kali, via a personal transaction with no paperwork ... but then, how do you explain your possession of it when you fill out your application? ... and what safeguards do you have (since there is no paperwork) that the Kali-DOJ wont say you had it illegally prior to your application?

Sounds too risky ... Glad I live in Kansas.

======================================================
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nitrouz, are you saying that CA DOJ MAILED you an application, or are you saying that they APPROVED your application? There's a big difference.

Neal
  • Options
    nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They mailed the application. I claim the gun is held at my 'home state' and upon receiving the permit it is legal to transport and possess. As far as risky, think about this- every one or two years a military person moves to another state/country and all his/her weapons are shipped via the crate the furniture is in. Is it violating federal or state laws? You bet, is the BATF going to arrest and imprison 500,000 soldiers? I doubt it. The thing that makes me madder than heck is, you send 3,000 military folks to a base in Kalifornia- revoke their right to carry an assault weapon to defend themselves if a terrorist decides to raid military housing with a AK he bought in Nevada? Yes a visitor in this country on a Visa from INS can buy a gun. But the men and women of the military can't? It all comes down to 'we are all sacrificial pawns for the U.S. Government to justify attacking another country'. Look at Germany right now, our service members can not bring their guns with them since Germany banned it last year, they are all sitting ducks for some terrorist group. Is any of this making you all sick? And don't say the military bases have police with M-16's to defend us, they are all deployed overseas and all we have back here are Reserves working 12-16 hour shifts. I know how many rounds they pack and I bet you all have more behind your truck seat.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I share your frustration. However, these are our country's policies and laws, and we must abide by them or ask our legislators to change them.

There are several sections in Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4) that pertain to those on active duty in the armed forces. Your "home state" is generally the state where your duty assignment is, for purposes of firearms laws; it is not the state where you used to live. You are correct when you say that a military family will take guns and their other household possessions with them when they move to a new state; if any of those guns is prohibited in the new state, they can't be taken there. The law is clear; state gun laws take precedence over federal gun laws within each state.

Yes, CA will accept your application to own an assault weapon & your $73 check. Will they approve it because you are a soldier? Absolutely not. Will they return your check? Don't count on it.

Are the people of California afraid of terrorists? Maybe. But not enough to let law abiding citizens possess evil type guns.

Neal