In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Junior.

CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
I was recently given a Colt Junior in 25acp.Smallist gun I have and it looks small enough to carry even in shorts.I broke it down to clean and oil,the firing pin design looks like it would contact the primer.Are these guns considered safe to carry chamber loaded,hammer down?CW

1.A near miss is still a miss!
2.Before I got married I spent half my money on women and guns,THE REST I WASTED!
3.Wasn't me!
4.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are not safe to carry with the hammer UP or DOWN! The only safeties are the manual safety and the half-cock notch, neither of which would be considered adequate by today's standards. Carry it only with an empty chamber.

Neal
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Original Colt Instruction Manual states to NOT carry with round in chamber. Also can unintentionally discharge when unloading a round from the chamber. Be Careful! Like mine as a back-up but prefer carrying something better equipped with better engineered safety mechanisms.

If You Can't Buy a Pair, Get a Spare!
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Junior is now in collector status. If you are looking at it as a carry piece, sell it to a collector, and use the money to buy a Kel-Tec P32. The P32 is lighter, safer and much more potent.

Edited by - JudgeColt on 09/01/2002 11:36:31
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Collector status?I asked how much it was worth and the only reply on the board was $1-200.I like the dimensions.Thanks again,CW

2.Before I got married I spent half my money on women and guns,THE REST I WASTED!
    3.Wasn't me!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Collector Status" doesn't mean it has a value of one million dollars! It means that the gun is sought after by those who collect Colts....if its condition meets that Collector's requirements. These guns sell for anywhere between $0.00 on the low side to as much as $400.00 on the High Side. These are "averages" and don't reflect what your gun might bring.

Here are the questions you need to answer to get some sort of reasonable estimate:
    1. Is the Original Serial Numbered Box with the Gun?
    2. Does it have the original wrapping paper?
    3. Is the Original Warranty Card with it?
    4. Is the Original Instruction Manual with it?
    5. Does the gun show any signs of wear?
    6. Where is that wear, if any?
    7. How much wear is there?
    8. What condition is the original blue finish?
    9. Do the Walnut grips show wear and how much?
    10. Any other question(s) a potential Collector Buyer might find to be of interest to him.

If this gun is "New-In-The-Box" with all Factory Paperwork, wrappings, etc., then you might get a very good price for it at Auction. Poor condition with the gun alone.....less money!

And Yes, they are a fun size......but that doesn't make them safe to carry with a cartridge in the chamber! Good Luck!

If You Can't Buy a Pair, Get a Spare!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Paul,I wasn't planning on selling it.Heck I don't think I have ever gave one up.No box or papers,finish on blue is 99%,wood 100%.I only wondered about the value because it was given to me by a friend who didn't want compensation,and if was worth something I would try again to have her take something for it.It as all my guns will become a shooter.Thanks again,CW

3.Wasn't me!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As you state the gun to be.....fair estimate of value would be in the $200 - $250 range, if finish as good as you say. Average Colt Juniors in .25 acp generally are priced like this. Fine guns and very accurate has been my experience.
  • Options
    flinchflinch Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RancheroPaul, Is that guy ever going to catch anything or just whip it around all day? I do like watching it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Naw......He fishes like me.....probably an accident if he catches one!

Shhhh...You'll scare the Fish!
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I see, Colt Juniors in good shape bring around $175 and up on the auction site. As is common with guns not bought to shoot, they are often found with box and papers, which adds to their collectability.

If this Junior is Spanish-made (by Astra for Colt's in the 1950s and so marked), it will be worth a bit more than a post-GCA Junior having the "OD" serial number pre-fix.