In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corrosive Ammo

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
Maybe a stupid question but if you fire corrosive ammo and then soon after clean the bore properly will there still be corrosion?

Thanks
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I live in Florida. I just bought a in the waistband holster for my Ruger P-85. I wore it once last week because I usally carry my Ruger SP101. When I got home after being out all day, I pulled it out of the holster, because I never leave my guns in holsters. The gun had sweat on it so I sprayed it with Breakfree and wiped it down.

I took The rounds out of the magazine today only to find out the primers were corroded mostly from the top of the magazine. What do you do to correct this? Wipe down the ammo every time I carry with this holster and how do I clean up the corroded ammo? The ammo is new Winchester 115gr. 9mm SilverTips with brass casing.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    There may have been postings on this in the past , however I'm new, please indulge me.

What is the best way to clean the bores on my M1 Garand and K98 after firing corrosive ammo?

Thanks
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Was wondering what you guys think the best way to clean a rifle after shooting corrosive ammo. I have heard windex or running hot water through the bore, but there must be a simpler way. Does anyone make a similar product to hoppes#9 that is just for corrosive ammo? Putting water through my bore just doesen't feel right.
    Thanks

Alleno
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    I keep hearing talk about corrosive ammo. I have an Ar-15 and a SOCOM. It gets a little expensive to shoot name brand ammo all the time. I have 2 questions....
    1) Is it really that bad for the gun to use this ammo?
    2) How can you tell the difference?

Thanks[:)]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    how is the best way to tell if a ammo is corrosive
    7.25x25
    on the head 14*54*
    the box is russian or yugoslive (sp) and i

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone run through how to clean a rifle after using corrosive ammo? I was told just to run a rag with ammonia (ie, use a windex-type solvent) and clean as normal. Is it this easy? Thanks.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be really humid there, and humidity + perspiration + confined area = corrosion. Yes, wiping it down each time is about all you can do. You certainly can't apply a liquid preservative such as WD-40 or Breakfree to the cartridges as you run the danger of (1) killing the primers with seepage, and (2) drastically increasing chamber pressure if you have a layer of lube which prevents the cartridge case material from gripping the chamber wall when fired. You might try painting the primers with a coating of clear fingernail polish.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a galvanic cell in action; two dissimilar metals and a conductor. You could try a hard wax on the cases or maybe a stainless steel magazine might work.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may think this is silly, but a bit of fingernail polish around the primer and the case neck will keep out all moisture ... I like "Passion Pink", but clear would work too

======================================================
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say with almost 100% certainity that is from sweating.I would consider buying a Holster that holds the gun a little further away from your body.Make sure to discard the corrosive ammo it may not be reliable.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    My brother has a CCW in La. and uses a Kydex holster. 100% humidity, no tarnish factor. Leather holsters are famous for holding moisture. It may sound funny, and I don't know if you do, but try wearing a T-shirt to keep perspiration contained. Sounds hot, but it actually will keep you cooler.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you seal the primers, be sure you don't put the sealant on the face of the primer (or wipe it off if some should be deposited there) - it can interfere w/ the force of the firing pin and / or the material can fracture & work its way into areas where it will cause jams. BTDT, have the bill to prove it. It's not clear if the corrosion is the primer cup or in the gap between the primer and the hole. The sealant will correct the latter and nickel-plated primers the former. Other than that, wiping the ammo down between carries will go a long way to preventing the start of corrosion.

The ammo you have which is ugly . . . shoot it. It's not going to get any better. I think from previous posts you do not reload? If you do, de-prime & tumble after firing; the brass will be fine.