In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Building a Sten?

professor0643professor0643 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in Ask the Experts
How do you legally make a sten from a kit that lacks a receiver? When I make a receiver from a tube and template, I have made a firearm, and I don't have a licese to do so! Help

Comments

• Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is not making the gun, anyone can legaly build a "legal" firearm. The problems you run into with building one is selling it. BUt with the stens the problem ius building a legal one. The sten guns are ful-auto, and there isn't any semi'auto ones out there. So in most all legal aspects you can't build a legal sten.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as legalaities, the ATF's website is very informative. But as far as building it, I recall reading about a company who made recievers and compliance parts for use with the parts kits for people to make their own, however if I remeber correctly the price was almost $300 per kit.... Though illegal, it almost seems more practical to just make your own reciever out of a piece of pipe and assemble it yourself....

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10/22man,

Somebody (I don't recall any names) did manufacture a number of semi-auto Stens with 16 in barrels. I saw the advertisements in ShotGun News within the last two years. Professor0643, finding one of these would probably be the easiest way to get a legal "Sten".
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, thats where I remember seeing it now. Thats them. They also made kits for it you wanted to build your own.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    faldumfaldum Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee...The first sentence of your initial reply appears sufficient. More than sufficient-"Practical."
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All these replys are correct in the sense that building a legal sten is near impossible. HOwever, should you choose to go the route of the semi-auto sten, there is one company who seems to make very good reproduction stens. While i cant be sure they are still doing so, an artical in my September '98 issue of Guns and Ammo contains an artical on the Stens produced by a company called CATCO

CATCO Inc.
    Dept. GA
    1325 Imola Ave. W., #5045
    Napa, CA 94559

http://www.catco.net/ (company homepage)

The guns got good reviews and are totally faithful to the original design except for the 16 inch barrel and semi auto only action. They even make one with a full length dummy supressor that covers the barrel making it almost impossible to tell your gun is a 16 inch barreled version. Good Luck!!