In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is my SKS Pre-Ban?

nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I recently aquired a Norinco SKS from someone and was wondering how to tell if it is a post or pre-ban? It has the fixed 10 round magazine and a bayonet lug. The original owner installed a folding stock on it with a muzzle brake. Any information on this weapon would be greatly appreciated. It has a letter C followed by a triangle and some Chinese writing on the left side of the reciever. Made in China by Norinco CSI ONT CA. The SKS removable clips sold by Cheaperthandirt.com will not fit it, their clips do not properly fit the receiver. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Everyone may be kinda burned out on answering this question, some links to previous responses to questions along this line follow.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5139

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3542

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7630

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can answer the part about your mags.They have to be fitted to your gun.

ATF
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some times you have to hold the slide back to insert the Mag.And the same applies to remove the mag,if thats the problem.I havent had any problems with the USA Mags,except in my Norinco where I have to hold the bolt back to insert or remove Mags.Thats probably your fitting problem.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd agree on the magazine situation. You must have the bolt locked open when taking the magazine out or putting it in. As for pre-ban or not, unlike the AK's, the bayonet lug was not removed after the ban. The guns continued to have bayonet lugs and the bayonet still in the box (unattached) several years after the ban. It wasn't until just before importation of Chinese SKS's were halted, that they began to remove the lugs. There were several plants making the guns and several serial number sequences, so there is not a serial number cut-off to go by. As the majority of the Chinese SKS's came in after the ban prohibiting their bayonets, probability is high that it is a post-ban gun. The import numbers were at there highest in the last few years of their importation. Their prices were the cheapest after they had been halted from importation as well. One would have thought that they would have gone up, but due to their mass availability, prices were lower after their importation was halted. It wasn't until US stock piles were exhausted, that the Chinese SKS's went up in value.

Is your's a pre-ban? Doubtful. Is it legal with a folding stock? Probably not. Is anyone going to hold you to task on that? Also doubtful. Could they give you a hard time if they choose to? Most likely. Would the burden of proof fall on you to prove it was a pre-ban? Probably. Could you prove it if you had to? Probably not. Unless you could find an original receipt for the gun and the stock, dated prior to November of 1990.

The standard SKS and their folding stocks had nothing to do with the 1994 Crime Bill or the March 1989 Assault Weapons Ban. The laws affecting the SKS were part of (attached to) a health bill passed in November of 1990. Some of the "anti's" snuck it in when no one was looking. Prior to that the SKS had slipped through the cracks of previous legislation since its standard configuration was not a detachable mag and held only 10 shots. The folding stock and 30rd conversion mags for the standard SKS were American inventions.
  • Options
    nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the value of a Primo Norinco SKS?
    I do not want to feel like a criminal taking the SKS to a shooting range. I like having more than 10 rounds available and removable clips are a must in the heat of battle. It's time to trade up for a politically correct AR-15.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prices will range from $170-250+. It varies a lot depending on your area of the country.